• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's in the family.

Hello,

My partner and I are in our early-twenties and have a two year old girl [October 2014] who has just been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. My partner's mother and grandmother both had the same illness, but neither of us have it.

We were about to start trying for another baby, until we got this diagnosis (we also weren't previously aware of the family history), and have now put that on hold.

So, my question is whether anyone knows the odds of the disease being passed down to children? Could my partner be a carrier of the illness, or likely to start showing symptoms later in life? Either way, are the chances high of another baby having Crohn's. I don't want to be selfish and bring another child into a lifetime of pain.

Thank you. x

I'm very sorry to hear that, two is so incredibly young :-(

I have the disease however my younger brother smokes (a big no no for Crohn's and it's severity,) and generally has a pretty poor lifestyle compared to me but he's fine.

I know there are several parents on the forum, maybe if you can find the parents of children with IBD thread and post in there I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Best of luck x

I am the only one in my family that has Crohn's Disease that i have been able to find. On the other hand, i have heard that it can run in families.

Maya142

Staff member
I have one daughter with Crohn's and one daughter without. We have no Crohn's in the family though we do have Ankylosing Spondylitis in the family which is associated with Crohn's. My husband and both daughters have AS.

I don't know what the actual numbers or percentages are for IBD, but hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Check out the Parents of Kids with IBD forum if you have a chance. There are lots of parents, some of whom have multiple kids with IBD and some who have very young kiddos.

There is a lot of hope now - new treatments like biologics that can work miracles. There is also lots of research happening and hopefully we will have even more effective treatments soon, or maybe even a cure.

Hang in there!!

I'm the only one too, I have a large extended family but nothing other than me! My understanding is that genes are involved, however there seems to be an environmental 'trigger' that activates the disease. It's unclear (to me and my reading at least) what these triggers are, although I have read that it can be certain infections.

It's theoretically possible to have the genes indicated but never encounter the relevant trigger. I can only assume that's what sets me apart from my brother.

That's from what I've read, it may be outdated by now but hopefully it's a start.

X

I am the only one of 5 children that has CD. My mom has it, her mother had it and my dad's brother also has it. My mom was one of 9 children to have it. I think it really does vary.

I feel for what you're going through, ever since I was diagnosed anytime my son tells me he has a stomach ache or D I panic!

Nobody else in my family, and both my brother and my Dad were heavy smokers.

Doctors always seem surprised by that. I guess most people they see have a family connection.

Scipio

Crohn's has a genetic component but is not strictly inherited in the same way that say blue eyes is. The odds of family members of Crohn's patients also getting Crohn's probably vary a bit from family to family depending on which genes are affected, but on an overall population basis there is about a 20% chance of developing Crohn's if one of your parents or siblings already has it.

That's a much higher risk of Crohn's than random, unrelated person would have, but stated in a glass half-full way, there is an 80% chance that any given sibling of your daughter will not have Crohn's.

I am the only one in my family as well, although my Mom's first cousin had digestive issues for most of her life. I am also the only one in my family with celiac disease. After I had my third child I began to have a host of problems, with crohn's and celiac two of them.

Thank you all for your responses. I hope you (and your children) are all coping well. <3

I will check out the parenting forum! I know it isn't completely genetic factors, it's just good to be able to see how high the rates are when there is a family history.

Now just need to question where I've gone wrong, for my little girl to have developed Crohn's so early in life. :pale:

Thank you all for your responses. I hope you (and your children) are all coping well. <3

I will check out the parenting forum! I know it isn't completely genetic factors, it's just good to be able to see how high the rates are when there is a family history.

Now just need to question where I've gone wrong, for my little girl to have developed Crohn's so early in life. :pale:
You certainly cannot blame yourself for something you have no control over!