Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Do painkillers actually relieve Crohn's related symptoms?

05-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Tim641

Do painkillers actually relieve Crohn's related symptoms?

Recently I've been having extremely bad pains all over my abdomen and it's so bad that I curl up in a ball and try my best to breath through it. I started Azathioprine (100mg) 2 weeks ago and I haven't really seen any improvements. My main issue is that I have a 2 and a half hour exam tomorrow morning and I can't be distracted by my pains so I wanted to know if having paracetamol or something like that has helped anyone relieve their pains temporarily??

05-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Hi there,

Unfortunately azathioprine takes around 12 weeks to start working. I was very ill during my exams at uni one year and had to miss a couple and sit them later in the year - is that an option for you at all?

A friend of mine with MS is having really encouraging results with a CBD oil which I'm pondering trying. I'm doing a lot of research into it before I commit though.

Is there any way you could get in touch with your GP for an emergency prescription of strong painkillers to get you through?

I hope things improve soon x

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
05-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Tim641

Sadly taking the exam later is not an option for me cuz I'm still doing my GCSEs and I doubt I'd be able to get a prescription at this time. I guess I'll just have to get lucky tomorrow.

Thanks for the help I think I'll make an appointment with my doctor just in case.

05-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Definitely try paracetamol, or paracetamol with codeine which is available over the counter. Soluble is best in my experience but with a bit of fruit squash to take the edge off the nasty taste!

Best of luck, hopefully you will be able to speak to a doctor before the exam. Let us know how it goes!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Do painkillers actually relieve Crohn's related symptoms?