• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Unexplained weight loss

Hi,

I have been really well recently (consultant even allowed for me to stop having check ups in Jan unless I felt it necessary to go back). No regular medication except Mebeverine which I take when I need it. My weight in Jan was 61-63kg and I would say in the last 8-12 weeks I have lost around 7-8kg and my weight is now 54-55kg. I don't feel unwell, my appetite is up and down but nothing too out of the ordinary for me.

I have already rang my IBD nurse who said that amount of weight is excessive to lose in that period of time and is alarming and has requested a stool sample which I will hand in tomorrow but could this be a flare with no other symptoms? No pain etc. I'm always wary not to point everything towards crohns.

Thankyou for any help anyone can throw my way!

Hey! Where is your disease activity? Mine is all small bowel and I'm pretty much as you describe, my symptoms are pretty much anaemia and unexplained weight loss. When things are really bad it gets worse, but initially the weight loss is a massive warning sign.

I hope you get some answers soon!

Hi thankyou for the reply!

My disease was found in the terminal ileum but I've never had weight loss like this before. As the tests take two weeks to come back the nurse said if I continue to lose weight then to ring my GP but Do you think it's normal that they didn't request bloods?

Thank you again I hope this isn't the start of something

Ah ok, mine is terminal ileum and duodenum. It does sound to me like there's maybe more going on. I would be wanting bloods to check iron, B12 etc.

Best of luck, I hope you get some further investigation!