• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heartburn/GERD From Remicade?

Hi,

I started Remicade in February and since about mid-March (when I had my second loading dose) I've had awful heartburn and stomach pain. I've had an endoscopy to check for H Pylori/ulcers and it was negative. Just showed soem mild inflammation but I had no appetite and was super nauseous. My bloodwork and Fecal Cal tests show my Crohns inflammation is under control so I'm wondering if this is all just side-effects of the Remicade. I haven't seem to notice that it gets better/worse before/after a dose, I just know I never had heartburn/GERD symptoms before I started Remicade-- ever, even when I had Crohn's acting up.

My Crohn's was never that bad-- I had one month of bloody, mucusy stool and abdominal pain, but I was never unable to function. Since then, it has basically been under control from the initial prednisone I was on, but we are having trouble finding a maintenance medication I can tolerate. Initially tried Imuran but it caused vomiting and nausea at the doses that my Dr felt I needed. I'm just so frustrated that I feel worse on the meds than I did with the active disease -- I know that it would have gotten worse if I hadn't treated it, but still so frustrated.

Anyone else develop these symptoms as a side effect of Remicade?