• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long more do I have to have my stoma bag on for?

Hello everyone. So basically I had a abscess on my colon and got a surgery done in September of 2016. Since then I have had a stoma bag attached which the infection falls into it. Just wondering how long more do I have to have the bag on for or is this permanent?

I think this is a very individual question. Everyone heals at different rates or responds differently to medication. This is a question best answered by your medical team

I have a ileostomy to help heal my fistula. Had it done last year in July, my fistula kept getting infected and abscessing all the time, antibiotics did little help even with a seton. I still have the seton in fistula, the stoma did help my infections. I am now on Stelara and feeling better, hoping to keep getting better and at some point in the future to reverse ileostomy. The stoma surgery was not to bad - a lot less pain and discomfort now then living with infected fistula. Stoma is a challenge on itself - took a while to figure out what bags and barriers to use, how long to keep on till change, skin issues, etc.