• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So tired of this uncertainty...

Hi, this is my first post arround here as I am now so tired and confused that I don't know what else to do. I hope I can find some help and peace of mind arround here.

So, I will try to make my long story short. I am a 24 y.o guy, with a normal life, good job and marvelous family. Back in 2010 I had a viral myocarditis, and had to be in the hospital for at least 1 week. Well, the year after that I was seen by two cardiologists and my heart is totally fine, with no chronic damage. The problem is that from that moment on, I became a very anxious person. I usually worry a lot about my health (In the past years I have numerous ER episodes, seen doctors of different specialities, etc...) but everything was always normal. Simultaneously to this anxiety story, I developed some very mild IBS symptoms, that I would describe as:

- No abdominal pain
- Some episodes of gas
- Bowel noises sometimes
- Normal bowel movements (1 or 2/day)
- No diarrhea apart from some moments with higher anxiety
- Normal appetite
- No Nausea or vomit

Last month, I had an episode of diarrhea followed by abdominal discomfort and because of that I decided to go to a GI doctor for the first time. The symptoms disappeared after a few days but the doctor ordered some tests, that i describe as follow:

CBC: Normal
CRP: Normal
Thyroid panel: Normal
Total Proteins: Normal
ASCA IgA: Positive (40 normal <10)
tTg IgA: Normal
Calprotectin: Borderline (76 normal <50)

I also did a CT enterography that was completely normal...

So, out of nothing I am now afraid that I have Crohns even though I have almost no symptoms, normal CT and only bordeline FC... My next GI appointment is next week, but I've been so so anxious this past days :(

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Scipio

Unless you have some other symptoms or test results you haven't mentioned (such as bloody bowel movements) I think there is very low risk that you have Crohn's disease. You have almost none of the classic signs. And a positive anti-ASCA in the absence of any symptoms suggestive of Crohn's is pretty meaningless. Same for the calprotectin.

Relax.