• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When to take azatioprin after food?

The advice on the paper in the pill package tells that this medicine should be taken at least 3 hour after food or milk. But what about other liquid drinks such as bone broths, amino acids or hemp juice? Would the effect be the same?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I don't remember having to wait any amount of time after eating with azathioprine. If I remember right, I took it with my meal and didn't have problems. If you're worried, I would ask your doctor or pharmacy to be sure...

For my first few weeks, i took them within 30mins to a hour after eating my dinner. And had horrendous nausia. So i changed to as soon as my last bite of dinner is done, i take my 3 aza pills. And i have not had nausia since! Apart from one evening out where i forgot my pills and took them 35mins later, and sure enough i got nausia for weeks!

I'm sure that's what I was told when I started them. I have noticed if I take them on an empty stomach it definitely upsets me. I eat really weirdly and different times/quantities every day according to how I'm feeling so it gets a little annoying on a bad day when I haven't been able to eat anything knowing that will make me worse. Such is life I guess *shrug*