• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it bad enough for surgery?

Hi
New to this forum - diagnosed in 2003 with crohns, which I believe I have had much longer than that, terminal ileum resection 2009 after being ill for a few years on and off.

I have been flaring on and off since February this year, had a MRE in May which showed 'enhanced thickening' ( not entirely sure what that means.) Been on Budesonide since May, just finished dose and Saw Gastroenterologist two weeks ago, who said he did not want to do colonoscopy, as already had balloon dilation last year. Azathioprine caused serious liver damage, so cannot have that. He thought surgery might be an option, so called Surgeon in to see me, who thought because I have had pain, constipation and diarrhoea since February, surgery might be a good idea. It all seemed to happen so quickly I thought.
In the last couple of days, pain not so intense, bowel movements more normal, and I am left wondering whether I should have surgery or not! As this follows the same pattern leading up to my last resection, same symptoms on and off for several years, my question is, should I go ahead with surgery at this stage, or if not, is this likely to just keep coming and going now until I do have surgery?
I would be grateful for some advice, really feel at a loss!

Hi
New to this forum - diagnosed in 2003 with crohns, which I believe I have had much longer than that, terminal ileum resection 2009 after being ill for a few years on and off.

I have been flaring on and off since February this year, had a MRE in May which showed 'enhanced thickening' ( not entirely sure what that means.) Been on Budesonide since May, just finished dose and Saw Gastroenterologist two weeks ago, who said he did not want to do colonoscopy, as already had balloon dilation last year. Azathioprine caused serious liver damage, so cannot have that. He thought surgery might be an option, so called Surgeon in to see me, who thought because I have had pain, constipation and diarrhoea since February, surgery might be a good idea. It all seemed to happen so quickly I thought.
In the last couple of days, pain not so intense, bowel movements more normal, and I am left wondering whether I should have surgery or not! As this follows the same pattern leading up to my last resection, same symptoms on and off for several years, my question is, should I go ahead with surgery at this stage, or if not, is this likely to just keep coming and going now until I do have surgery?
I would be grateful for some advice, really feel at a loss!
Hey pal. I also was diagnosed in 2003. I have surgery set for November 8th to remodel my ileum. I'm on the new meds Humira and such that work great. In your case I think and know you need to have a colonoscopy, you need a barium test done. Blood work. Etc. need to find out if its reoccurrence at the sight of the anastomoses. Sounds like reoccurrence. So it's already caused some stricture and scarring. You need to check on Humira. Remicade. Etc. the biologics. They work well with people. Also, I suggest doing a lot of research on nutrition and organic eating. Avoid hard to digest foods. Never let an asshole doctor say CUT CUT first. The eating right will help a lot with your symptoms right now. Give you time to prepare. And reserach. And always ask a lot of questions. Annoy them with question. It's their job to treat you as a human and answer them.