• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed and considering surgery

34 years old, never had issues until 4 months ago started seeing blood in stool. Then mucus. Colonoscopy and MRI showed inflammation. GI doc put me on antibiotics. Afterwards still see bleeding. Intermittently. I really dont have any other symptoms.

I got feedback that if I see a surgeon that he will want to cut now that its early before scarring.

How long did anyone else try to heal themselves before going straight to surgery?

Jumping right into surgery after a diagnosis seems rushed. Get a doctor you trust and try to "treat" the symptoms

So many therapeutic options available that I would exhaust those before opting for surgery.

Also, make sure the diagnosis is correct. Colitis and diverticulitis are treated differently than Crohns.

Always get a second and even third opinion to be sure of a correct diagnosis.

Bufford

Don't rush it. Now is the time to do research and it would be good to get a second opinion. There are a lot of drug therapies, and natural remedies including diet and lifestyle changes to consider first. Surgery should be a last resort.

34 years old, never had issues until 4 months ago started seeing blood in stool. Then mucus. Colonoscopy and MRI showed inflammation. GI doc put me on antibiotics. Afterwards still see bleeding. Intermittently. I really dont have any other symptoms.

I got feedback that if I see a surgeon that he will want to cut now that its early before scarring.

How long did anyone else try to heal themselves before going straight to surgery?
Hey pal. 15 year vet here. What was you diagnosed with? Crohn's? Colitis? Hemroids? Diverticulitis? And let me guess flagyl? And as far as surgery. Find out for sure first. The only reason you would need surgery now is if you have an obstruction, bad perforation or twisted bowel. The new meds to treat these IBD's are really good and effectived. Never trust a surgeon who's first response is CUT. That's just an arrogant asshole wanting a big pay check from your insurance. Find someone who treats you like a person and wants to answer all your questions. Make sure you research and ask 100 question if need be.

As everyone above has stated please do not rush it! Absolutely make sure it is what it is and perhaps seek a second opinion. Surgery should really be considered later in the treatment plan if drug therapies and diet changes do not help. After my diagnosis with Crohns Disease I was placed on Humira and was on that drug for about a year before a perforation in the colon forced an emergency surgery.

Absolutely do some more research, and good luck to ya!