• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MRI enterography

I am having a MRI enterography soon. I was thinking of calling a cab since I don't drive myself. Will they sedate me and should I have someone I know with me?

I have not been sedated for MRI enterography, and the last time I was fine taking public transit back by myself. The first time I felt more queasy afterward and wouldn't have wanted to do that..but a cab would have been fine. Maybe it would help you feel comfortable if you call the office where you're having it done to ask what to expect?

As above, I wasn't sedated for mine. I travelled by public transport. I did have someone with Me, but purely because I hadto travel quite a distance, they didn't tell me I had to take anyone with me.

But if it's the one that you have to drink a liquid first, it did give me an upset tummy. So I had to hang around a little to use the loo.

Good luck.

Hey Ron. My hubby has an MRI enterography every year. I usually go with him because he is not supposed to eat anything for 6 hrs before the procedure. And once you're there, they give a litre of barium liquid to drink. He told me it's absolutely horrible, and he usually has nausea and diarrhea the day of the test. The next morning he is okay. I think you can take a cab home since they don't sedate you, but I would assume you would also be tired because of no food in you for a long time with barium making you feel worse.

Yes same for me.. they never sedated me but have to go there without eating anything, and the liquid to drink gave some diarrhea.. usually my girlfriend want to come with me.
I think you can either go alone or with someone to be more confortable. Going with a cab is ideal too rather than public transport for all those reasons.

Scipio

I was not sedated and I drove myself there and back again. The solution I had to drink was pretty vile-tasting, but other than that the whole thing was not that difficult.

Maya142

Staff member
They don't sedate for MRE's since you have to drink the barium (if you were sedated after drinking, you could aspirate and that would be very dangerous).

I went with my daughter - the drinking was the hardest part. After the test, she was tired, nauseous and had belly pain, but otherwise she was ok.

With kids, we always advise parents to take a change of clothes for the kiddo ;) - my daughter has thrown up before after drinking barium (though this time she didn't).

I was not sedated, drove myself there and back. I wasn't really able to eat when I had it done so trying to drink all of the contrast was hard, but they recommended I walk around to help the contrast travel through my GI tract faster.

I am having a MRI enterography soon. I was thinking of calling a cab since I don't drive myself. Will they sedate me and should I have someone I know with me?
I'm having one soon too.....this will be my 3rd one! The hardest part for me is drinking all the nasty barium drink.....it's absolutely nasty! They have never sedated me for it & have driven myself there & back with no problem!

cmack

Staff member
I may be mistaken on the barium Ron, I do remember it was something I had to drink though. Whatever it was it was kind of gross tasting. Some people have had the contrast in IV form it seems. I'm thinking I got the old school method after reading Sandy's account of what she had on the LOW thread. It was 10 years ago for me, so it may be that you get what she got now. I'm sure that I wasn't sedated though, and it wasn't scary to me, just noisy. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

I had one last year. The drink had the same effect on me as a colonoscopy bowel prep and I was not prepared for that! I had an hour drive home and it was miserable as you can imagine. Many desperate stops along the way. No sedation and the test itself was fine. Just be prepared.
Lynn

I found the hardest part was trying to keep it all in for the MRI. By the time I'd drunk it, got changed in to my gown and been for my 3rd pee... I needed to poop... desperately. Whatever you do... don't pass wind Haha!!!

I hope it goes ok xxx

i took an ativan and that helped mellow me out, but made me hungover for quite a while after. I had a driver. Also the Breeza lemon lime contrast drink gave me D, and a Hershey squirt came out accidentally later on in the evening! no bueno!