• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need a help from an expert please

Greetings, i am 42 years old with no symptoms or complain of anything 4 months ago i did a routine check ups and they did a colonoscopy and endoscopy ( 2 weeks before that i had a food poising with diharriya and vomiting with mild fever which lasted for a day and a half only. everything was ok but the colonoscopy found few superficial ulcers in terminal ileum so they took biopsies. then the biopsy report came back with prominent lymphoid hyperplasia and focal non sceating granuloma sarcoid alike and suggestion an early stage of crohn's ileitis. so my doctor later asked for MRI and multiple tests few weeks later like CRP,Fecal calproctine,ASCA ,, etc and all showed negative including the MRI. so my doctor said you dont have crohns and the superficial ulcers are from that food poising you had . i am healthy ok and i never in my life had an abdominal pain or blood in stool or noticeable episode of diharriya so no symptoms at all .
my question please is do you go with the doctor oppinion that it is not crohn and i have nothing to worry about . if yes how do we explain the pathology report ? could it be a mistake ?
thank you

I am not sure why you had to have a routine colonoscopy and endoscopy at 42? Seems very young to have such invasive tests for no reason other than "routine".

If the ulcers are just superficial they may not show up on an MRI, blood work may also be normal. It's possible as well the calproctectin would be normal too. When I was diagnosed I had superficial ulcers and all tests were normal (bloods, stool - calproctectin, MRI and CT scan) but colonoscopy showed ulcers at the terminal ileum.

I don't know much about food poisoning but it may indeed be possible that caused the ulcers.
I would probably repeat the colonoscopy in a years time.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Have you had an appointment or talked with them since then? I'd be curious to know how you're doing now. Also, did they discuss a plan of action as far as meds? If you're questioning this diagnosis, I might also ask for a second opinion...

food poisoning can cause Crohn's like spytoms but in the Uk they also state probable Crohn's even when the disease is active if you have no symptoms at the moment I would not be worrying just keep a check on it and report anything unusual to your doctor .
Good luck

Thank you for your reply honey051162. I guess it is from the food poisoning I had 2 weeks prior to the colonoscopy . One doctor in Munich told me that a pathologist only sees tissues and can not diagnose you without comprehensive symptoms, how ulcers looks like in colonoscopy and MRE with all stool and blood tests. So I my poispy stated (prominent lymphoid hyperplasia and focal non sceating granuloma sarcoid alike ) consistent to early stage of crohn. Food poisining ( contaminated food with bacteria or virus you eat ) can lead to pathology stated like that.
As you mention I will monitor my self for any symptoms and I will do routin tests like crop,ear,caliproctin and b12 . If things are ok then I don't have to do another colonoscopy and I should forget about it.