• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileo -> Proctectomy/Colostomy or Turnbull-Cutait Procedure...Anyone Have Experience?

After years of failing to get closure (medically and surgically) for recurring fistulas, I am exploring additional medical and surgical options.

I currently have a temporary ileostomy and don't want to give up and go to a permanent proctectomy and colostomy (but realize that may be the end game), but I also have learned a little more about the Turnbull-Cutait procedure through a second opinion at Johns Hopkins. I understand Cleveland Clinic does most of them but that I may not be the ideal candidate. So...

1. Has anyone here (especially with the fistulizing form of our disease) have experience going from an ileo to a permanent proctectomy/colostomy? Thoughts on quality of life before/after?

2. Has anyone (realize probably not) had the Turbull-Cutait procedure or at least considered it? What are you experiences/thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your sharing!