• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all..

First post.
I had Crohn's most of my life. I became very ill in my mid twenties I had a fistula that ate into my bladder. When I ate solids the food would enter my bladder and exit when I urinated. Very painful. An infection set in and soon went through my entire body. I spent months in the hospital fighting the infection most of which I do not remember I was so doped up. After two months they felt I was strong enough for surgery. It was my only chance of survival. On my 26th birthday they took all of my large intestine, my ileum and a few feet of my small. The road to recovery was very long but I made it. I am now 60 years old
and life has been tough. Without my large intestine I get dehydrated very easy.
Doctors cannot believe I am alive the look on their face when I see a new doctor and I tell them what they took and when. Like many others who have an Ostomy I never really accepted it but it saved my life and without it I would not be here. I doesn't do much for the self-esteem it has kept me from being intimate most of my life. To me the Ostomy is very private and personal I always think if I am with someone they might spread the word. Some accept it easier then others I guess for me it has always been my personal hang up.
Anyway I am glad to be alive and appreciate every day!
To all my fellow Ostomates make the best of every day, live is to short.

Alan