• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

curlywurly

I am new to this forum but not Crohn's, I was diagnosed in 2013.
I have been on a rollercoaster ride ever since.
I am anxious as I have not worked since i was diagnosed,now 58 years old
the medication so far has not worked I am going for a breath test next week can someone explain why i have to have it?

valleysangel92

Staff member
the medication so far has not worked I am going for a breath test next week can someone explain why i have to have it?
Hey, welcome to the forum,

I'm sorry to hear it's been a tough ride for you, unfortunately there are no simple answers with Crohn's as I'm sure you're aware and it's not that uncommon for it to take a long time to find the correct treatments. Do you mind me asking what you've actually tried so far?

As for the breath test, there could be a number of things that they are looking for , as mentioned above it can be used to look for bacteria in the gut which may explain some of your symptoms and I think they can also be used as an indicator for some types of food intolerances such as lactose intolerance. The only way to know for sure what they are looking for is to ask the doctor who asked you to have the test, although the person conducting it may also know.

Ask them why. Never ever be frightened to question, it is your body and your not meat.

As to the question it would depend what blood tests you have had so far. Its more normal to have a fecal test for some the bacteria, but this is time sensitive getting it to the lab.

Currently there are 14 different tests determined from a breath test, the most common is a Ketone type test. But i would agree with all the above on this occasion

curlywurly

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question the other day the meds I have been trailed on are Azathioprine,Mercaptopurine& Methotrexate.
I had to stop Methotrexate as it effected my liver function tests they became deranged.
I have had steroid enemas & steroid tablets that helped a little but my crp levels are still high. I have spoken to the IBD nurse about the Breath test she says it is for small intestine bacterial overgrowth which I have never come a cross before?