• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting denied a scholarship because of Crohn's

So, I'm going to apply next year for different scholarships in Europe for MA degree, and I heard that sometimes they deny you a scholarship, because you have a chronic disease and that they won't be able to cover the expenses under insurance.

This is making me freak out, because the last thing I wanted Crohn's to interfere with is my dream of working in a lab abroad after getting my MA degree!

Is there anyone who's familiar with this, maybe had a similar experience but got accepted instead? Do I have to hide that I'm a Crohnie so I can be granted the scholarship?

I just feel lost now.

Hi. I don’t think you have to hide, but do you have to tell at this point before you get it? Sure any chronic disease is a part of who you are but only one part; plus I can’t think of an MA where your personal experience with a disease might be an advantage or even relevant. Why do they need to know when you apply?

They may need to know when you get it as you make plans for your treatment there or if you know you need accommodations. Or maybe it is a different process and the scholarship grantor may not be involved. You can do research privately on the countries you are considering to see how medical treatment is covered for whatever type of visa you will have and whether your meds are available, etc.

Good luck.

So, I'm going to apply next year for different scholarships in Europe for MA degree, and I heard that sometimes they deny you a scholarship, because you have a chronic disease
Don't tell them then.

What they don't know won't hurt them!

I don't disclose UC to all and sundry.

Why do they need to know about your Crohn's ?

While I didn’t have crohn’s at the time, I studied in the UK for two years, earning an MPhil degree, and I was the recipient of a few scholarships both from here in the US and the UK. They absolutely do not need to know you suffer from crohn’s. Not only is it irrelevant, but they can’t ask you about it. Once you have been accepted you’ll need to figure out how to get your medication, but that can be figured out fairly easily depending on what kind of degree and insurance you decide on. I wish you the best of luck! What are you going to study?

Last edited:
If it's a UK Scholarship they can't ask and you don't have to tell. I would advise talking to your Supervisor about it once your accepted. Good luck!