• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tips for coping with fatigue

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for coping with fatigue?
I am just so exhausted all the time, I lead a very busy lifestyle teaching full time at a primary school and owning horses. My GP suggested ‘exercising’ so not sure what he misunderstood from teaching and owning horses.
I find that at the weekend I need to have a 2 hour nap to help with this fatigue but nothing seems to make it better.

Hi
Yes I’ve had bloods done and everything is normal. However this has been the case over the last 4 years, nothing ever shows up!

cmack

Staff member
Hi Milly,

Most people don't drink enough water, this can cause fatigue. I have been directed by my GP to drink a minimum of 2 liters of water per day (nothing added besides a slice of lime or lemon). I have also been told to avoid sugar, processed foods and excess caffeine as it causes you to crash and feel very tired.

Other than that, I would suggest trying your best to pace yourself and work on getting a good night's sleep. I take prescribed meds to help me sleep and reduce aches and pain at night. If you are interested in what I am taking, just shoot me a pm, I will respond. I hope things improve for you soon.

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi
Thanks for this, luckily I already drink around 2 litres of water every day (it’s the only thing I drink, no tea/coffee or fizzy drinks).
I take a low dose of Amitryptiline each night which seemed to help me sleep but not anymore, I just wake up during the night in pain and then can’t get back off the sleep-sometimes I feel I need a tranquilliser gun!!

cmack

Staff member
I know the feeling. I also take Amitriptyline, I have had to increase my dose to 60 mg which seems to be the sweet spot. It still doesn't last all night though for some reason. Maybe there is a chance you could increase the dosage. My doctor has written the prescription, "take as needed, 3 times a day, as directed," so I can adjust my dosage to a certain extent.

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for coping with fatigue?
I am just so exhausted all the time, I lead a very busy lifestyle teaching full time at a primary school and owning horses. My GP suggested ‘exercising’ so not sure what he misunderstood from teaching and owning horses.
I find that at the weekend I need to have a 2 hour nap to help with this fatigue but nothing seems to make it better.
B complex multivitamins. Might be what you need. They help me. I'm not buzzing around but I'm able to do my day to day .

Anyone been put on adderall or methylpenidate or similar stimulants for treating their chronic fatigue that comes with intestinal disorders? I have a severe case.

I can barely function and I think I'd much rather be put on a low dose just to be able to function, stay employed and provide for my family.

Anyone out there can offer advice or experience regarding this form of treatment?

Anyone been put on adderall or methylpenidate or similar stimulants for treating their chronic fatigue that comes with intestinal disorders? I have a severe case.

I can barely function and I think I'd much rather be put on a low dose just to be able to function, stay employed and provide for my family.

Anyone out there can offer advice or experience regarding this form of treatment?
I am arguing with my pcp about adderall. I was on it for years. Since my Crohn's dx he is afraid of what that kind of stimulant would do. I'm trying to prove it will be fine. I've had adhd since I was 14. If any out knows it's fine PLEASE as many as possible post it. Hopefully all of us with fatigue can get help.