• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Balloon insertion, yes or no?

During a recent colonoscopy, the doctor commented that my inflamed part of the intestine was so swollen that she considered inserting a balloon. She explained that she could not do it at the time (because I was at an evening clinic appointment), and that is was temporary. She suggested it because we are getting close to Christmas, and that is a season with generally a lot of food that is hard for the stomach to digest.

Does anyone have any experience with this balloon?

For me, the colonoscopy is such a bad experience (not the procedure itself, but the preparation, in particular the drink to empty the bowels) that I am less than happy about the prospect of repeating this twice more within the near future (insertion and removal).

But maybe if the balloon also protects against irritation during that time period, my intestine could calm down.

Pros and cons of balloon insertion?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I think maybe she meant a balloon dilation? That is where a 'balloon' is used to stretch the intestine - nothing is left inside. Some people get good results from this procedure, others may only get temporary relief and may have to get it done again before undergoing surgery to remove the restricted area.

I have had both instances where it has worked and others where it hasn't. I have had dilatation done for the rectum and it has been successful, whereas one for my descending colon was literally good for one day. If it is being recommended, I would go with it even though the prep is that terrible. The upside is potentially really good. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much beyond a couple days of bad eating and the runs!

On one side I am thinking that it should help reduce the swelling and inflammations since the affected part is "protected" from friction and irritation from the balloon. But the doctor said it was just to make it easier for me to eat more heavy food during the Christmas season and that it did not have any long term effects. So then I am not sure. We will see what the doctor says after my MR. I have not received any definitive conclusions or recommendations yet.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
On one side I am thinking that it should help reduce the swelling and inflammations since the affected part is "protected" from friction and irritation from the balloon. But the doctor said it was just to make it easier for me to eat more heavy food during the Christmas season and that it did not have any long term effects. So then I am not sure. We will see what the doctor says after my MR. I have not received any definitive conclusions or recommendations yet.
There is no balloon left inside you - the balloon is used to stretch the intestines to make a narrowed area larger.....

Oh really? I thought they put it in and then took it out since they said a month. But then that means only one more coloscopy, not two... sounds better.