• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone successful in getting on disability?

Our son became ill with Crohn’s at 14. He’s 21 now and has been in “remission” for 2 years though he isn’t 100% symptom free. His latest scope showed “no sign of disease. He’s on Remicade and it probably saved him.

He’s struggled socially since becoming ill and dropped out of school. He’s never had a job (tires easily) and still lives at home. We’re middle class and nearing retirement and could use a little help.

Husband recently ran into an old college friend who was a judge and he told him that he thought our son had a 70% chance of getting on disability through my husband’s social security and he advised us to get an attorney.

Has anyone been successful in getting on disability?

Wow sounds like my 20 year old daughter,she was diagnosed in 2014. guess in remission until 2 months ago went for colonoscopy last week and shows bad inflammation and possibly a structure, need an MRI. Now on the horrible prednisone 6 mp and Pentasa soft foods and liquid only, but we have just recently applied as well. I have heard it could take up to 3 years to get approved.

Wow sounds like my 20 year old daughter,she was diagnosed in 2014. guess in remission until 2 months ago went for colonoscopy last week and shows bad inflammation and possibly a structure, need an MRI. Now on the horrible prednisone 6 mp and Pentasa soft foods and liquid only, but we have just recently applied as well. I have heard it could take up to 3 years to get approved.
His friend said to be prepared to lose 3 times, but to just keep trying. 😗

I applied in April 2014, denied 3 times. Went to court on Oct. 6 this year. Received a decision of "fully Favorable" on Oct 30. I have not receive my aware letter yet so not sure when benefits will start. I hired a lawyer from the very beginning.

I applied in September. I just recieved a letter to get a function eval from one of their Drs.
Don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing. Also going to find a lawyer.

Lauren

Applied in 2016, approved 2 weeks ago... for all the way back to 2014.

The doctor's opinion usually carries the most weight.

"Can this person hold a job with their symptoms?" If the answer is "no", then it should be approved.

1. You're going to be denied 3 times.
2. File every appeal, or have a lawyer do it on your behalf.
3. Get an actual LAWYER to do it, not a "representative". Those guys always pull out at the last possible minute.
4. Most lawyers only take a part of the "back payment" if successful. 25% or $6k, whichever is lower (check your state laws regarding this)
5. He has to go to EVERY doctor appointment. Every. Single. One.
6. He has to insist (if the doctor is wishy-washy) on blood draws for C-Protein, Sed-Rate, and other inflammatory markers.
7. Do the colonoscopies. Do the MRI's. Do the everything. Do the Calprotectin test.
8. He has to choke down or inject the what the doctors tell him to.
9. Get copies of all the records.
10. Sign the HIPAA with the Lawyer.
11. If the lawyer can't get the records, GO GET THEM and run them over to the lawyer.
12. In 18 months, when he finally gets a letter from the Admin. Law Judge, research the judge.
13. In his hearing, he has to BE HONEST about every gross little detail, his energy level and his health.
14. The doctor's opinion matters the MOST in MOST cases and in MOST states. If it's "too subjective" to that doctor, find another one. Find one that's a complete jerk and follows all the rules. These are the ones that will actually fill out and sign the opinion form the lawyer gives you to give to his doctor.

I had my appt today and the Dr said her opinion is yes I am disabled twice CD and inflammatory arthritis. I sure hope this is a good sign. Can they argue with their own Drs?

Lauren