• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Male, 22, Hertfordshire UK, Crohn's, seeks advice

male, 22, Hertfordshire UK, Crohn's, seeks advice

Hey,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was about 15. After developing bad symptoms and having my GP fail to diagnose me/help me, my parents paid for a private doc to see me. He diagnosed me but for years I didn't really accept Crohn's as being a part of me and sometimes I still wilfully ignore it, but I am gradually accepting it more and more.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. As I'm applying to get on grad schemes at the moment, I'm anxious about telling potential employers that I have Crohn's in case they choose not to employ me for that reason but don't admit it, using some other excuse. I know they can't discriminate, but if they did it behind closed doors, who could stop them? Still, I think I should be upfront about it, as letting them know further down the line wouldn't be fair to them when it might affect my performance at work. It's a dilema and I hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Dragon to the forum....
Wow, that's quite a sticky situation....I haven't had that happen, but on most applications is does ask if you have a medical condition. I think out here you could potentially be fired for being fraudulent/ misleading. I hope someone else from the UK can give you a better response. Best of luck.

Hmm. Yeah I've been thinking about this... I think the official line is that if you are asked on an application form for medical details then you should disclose it. However, the practical 'need to know' side of me thinks that only things that may (by any one looking at the application/job later, perhaps following an adverse event...blah) be deemed relevant would be disclosed. So when I got head-hunted the other day, I said to the pimp I've been dealing with medical issues to explain the 18month gap in employment. But I wouldn't tell them, or a potential employer about some other of my medical details because frankly they aren't going to interfear with my job, so they have no need to know.

If any potential employer said to you 'We're not giving you the job because you have Crohns' is worthy of legal advice, but you are unlikely to get any one stupid enough to do that.

farm

Captain Insaneo
I've always been open with my employers. It usually goes like this.
"I see you have a medical condition."
Yes. I have Crohns Disease.
"Oh, what is that?"
It's an inflammatory bowel disease.
"Oh, well that isn't bad. My (insert relative) has IBS."

:(

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
personally i would tell the truth.

when i was first diagnosed and returned to work, from maternity leave, i told personell, and i asked her to keep it confidential. at that time i wasnt comfotable with all and sundry knowing that i would cr*p my pants at anytime.

i would agree, do state that you have Crohn's Disease, but i wouldn't elaborate on how bad or debilitating it can be. that way, you've been truthful, but hopefully not scared them off at the same time. years ago my gastro consultant wrote me a health reference, stating that i had Crohn's, had surgery in the past but was now fit to return to employment. i photocopied this letter and used it many times.

Welcome! I am in Herts too! I echo the above. State the minimum o the form, don't bare your soul, usual process is someone in HR will review your App. If they see something to be followed up they will refer you to their occupational health department. The beauty of this disease is that it is so little understood... As mentioned above most people thinks it's just IBS.

I strongly recommend you join the NACC, they have lots of employment info you can use.

Good luck!

Lishyloo

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
As a former hiring manager, you can state that you a medical condition. They can not ask you what it is nor can they discriminate you for not sharing this info. I'm assuming that it the same in England as it is for the US. All they can ask is there anything that would prevent you from performing the duties as required. Having Crohn's doesn't usually stop us from doing normal work. Especially if you are in remission or the symptoms are too terrible. Everyone experiences emergencies that may prevent them from working either for a short term or a little longer term. Either way, being honest is the best way to win at getting the job you want.

I have been behind many of those doors and I will be the first to tell you, no one wants to "make up a reason" to terminate you especially if you have a chronic illness. I once had to terminate a person with narcolepsy. She could never make into work on time. This was something that she developed after having the job. I sat down with her and explained that the job required she be at work on time. She said that she understood and it won't be an issue anymore. I changed her schedule for her to have her come in much later as she was better for the afternoon. She went from not coming in on time to not performing her tasks at work because she was just lazy. Her condition just made it easier for her to be lazy. I dealt with her being lazy for over a year because of the narcolepsy issue. When we came to the decision to terminate her, it had nothing to do with narcolepsy.

The short and simple, good employees are good employees. Bad employees are just bad employees. Your performance at work is not at fault when you're sick. You're sick.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, I am happy to help where I can. I just happen to have been a hiring manager for 10 plus years before this disease decided to take over.

Hmm mike makes a good point. I'm not sure if those laws are put in place in Canada too but I made the desicion to tell my employer exactly what my situation is. When I was hired I hadn't been diagnosed long. I just find it easier with everybody knowing. The most basic reason is I don't feel awkward walking to the back and going to the bathroom 3-4 times a shift, nothing I can do about it. Then there is the fact that I needed time off this week, right after christmas, and again in feburary because I'm changing doctors, redoing tests, and am just onto new meds. Its a rough patch right now and I've missed some work and had my worst day ever just yesterday but it truely was because of Crohn's and unfortunately there is no way around that and I told my manager that exactly. He isn't exactly happy but I know that I feel better telling him in the interviews, he knew everything and I told him the complete truth. I know now he can't ever say you never told me about this! or think I'm coming up with excuses why I can't work like that guy in the office who has the "flu" every other friday. I am who I am and I come with this, I told him in the interview that I may miss work occasionally and I do go to the bathroom a lot more than the average person, that being said I do work extremely hard and I do make up for those shortfalls with a great work ethic and I will be a great asset to your company.
I know I may be the only one but at first I found this extremely embarassing to talk about and to admit I have. But as another guy on here put it, we have a medical condition and there is no two ways about it, us running to a bathroom in the middle of the day is no different from a diabetic taking his insulin shot. I just feel better with everybody who it concerns knowing and much to my suprise I've found out people have something similar who I had no idea and have had some very supportive people too.
I wish you the best of luck with your job search and hope you find a great job sooner than later!

Last edited:

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I agree with Crazy by telling your immediate manager. They should know. During an interview is a tough call. Some hiring managers are ok with whatever you tell them. Other hiring managers can have 20-30 interviews in a day. If the interviews are being scheduled by headhunters or a staffing agency, there are times when you may be skipped over in the interview process for someone else who is just as qualified as you are without all the extra breaks.

Just something to think about.

farm said:
I've always been open with my employers. It usually goes like this.
"I see you have a medical condition."
Yes. I have Crohns Disease.
"Oh, what is that?"
It's an inflammatory bowel disease.
"Oh, well that isn't bad. My (insert relative) has IBS."

:(

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

HA!! YES! The old IBS confusion... I sigh heavily inside when I hear that from interviewers!

:voodoo:

Hi Greendragon, welcome! I would definitely put the info down on the application form and discuss it with a line manager. It is not really appropriate for interviewers to question you about health matters. That's something for Occupational Health to deal with.

Good luck with the applications!

:)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies! I really appreciate it. I am working now, and my current employer's fine with it, though I've not had to take time off yet. It's only a temp. job though. I'm applying for graduate schemes and I think I'll mention Crohn's but not elaborate unless asked to. This way, I have been honest with them and the ball is in their court. Hopefully the reputation I'm buliding through academics and my current job should prove the quality of my work ethic and if that's not enough for them, screm 'em!!!

Thanks everyone :)

Astra

Yeah Alex best to declare all but not in lots of detail, a good employer should be descretionary, and in this compensation culture of ours, it all boils down to insurance too, they have a duty of care to allow time off for people who are ill and have declared it and produced medical evidence. the ACAS Employment Law Act will tell you more, and the Disability Discrimination Act, both can be found on the net. As a matter of interest, talkin of discrimination, I've split from my husband and bought my own house, and to get a mortgage you have to get life cover. I was quoted £25 a month. Great! or so I thought, til I had to fill in the medical details and declared that I was a crohnie, then no-one would touch me with a barge pole! and so I trawled and compared the market.com etc, and Zurich Insurance said they would cover me, but the premiums shot up to £50 a month! no choice but to accept cos no-one will lend me money for a mortgage without life cover. Now that's what I call discriminating against the ill, and they've got ya by the short n curlies!
best of luck Joan x

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
well donr for finding a job, green dragon. lets hope it leads to bigger things and that your health stays calm anough as well.

Hi,
Nice to see someone from the UK.

My employer is great now Ive been diangosed and they even pay me when Im on the sick.

Speak soon, take care.