Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Humira User since August 2017

12-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
jondee60

My Support Groups:
Humira User since August 2017

Please let me know if I am on the wrong site as I don't have Crohn's..but I was diagnosed with a non-specific auto-immune disease last year. My symptoms were painful swollen knees and wrists and feeling SICK all the time. After being on prednisone, methotrexate and plaquinil for over 9 months with no real relief, my doctor suggested Humira. I fought taking it for a while (the ads on TV really scared me) but finally I knew I had to do something to get my life back. I took my first shot in August, and within THREE days my swelling and pain were gone. I'm not kidding. The doc said I'm considered a 'fast responder'. I felt amazing!
I still have feelings of being slightly sick at times, but I can generally blame it on eating gluten or sugar. It's so nice to be able to walk without limping. I'm wondering how long I will have to take this drug....I'm not sure if a person can be on it for years and years?
12-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Congratulations for doing so well. I think there are people who have to be on Humira for years.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
12-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Humira was first launched in the US in 2003, and there have been patients who have been on it pretty much ever since then. Right now it is the number 1 selling drug in the world with over $16 billion in sales every year.

Not everyone can stay on it long term. For some people it simply doesn't work or doesn't work very well. And for some others it works for a while but then it loses its effectiveness when they develop antibodies against the Humira protein. But looking optimistically and hoping for the best, there is every reason to believe that you might be able to stay on Humira for years and years.
12-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds was on humira for over 5 years
He stopped it for surgery (non Crohns related)
And it stopped working when it was restarted
Tagging Maya142
12-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My older daughter was also on it for 5 years - she did GREAT on it with Methotrexate. It eventually stopped working, but we got a good run out of it. She also has arthritis but not IBD (younger one has both IBD and arthritis but lasted only about 2 years on Humira).

It does depend on the person, but for some it works for much longer. I have heard of people being on it for 8-10 years. For others eventually it loses efficacy and they switch to something else.

There are other anti-TNFs so even if it loses efficacy one day, you do have options.

Glad it is working so well!!
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Humira User since August 2017