• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction

Hi, I was diagnosed with Crohns 3 months ago after a year long battle to find out what was wrong. I lost 30kgs in 3 months and another 10 throughout the year, and have also been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Having finished a 3 month course of steroids last week, l’m back to feeling constantly tired, no appetite and all the other things that go with this disease. I guess I’m looking for some help in dealing with all this.
Regards

scottsma

Hi Tesse and welcome.I'm glad you've at last got a diagnosis and have had some meds.
It's always a relief to know what you've been suffering from, but we all know how long the process can be.You'll get lots of support from the forum,ask any thing you need to. It can be overwhelming at first. Nothing's taboo here.There will always be someone who can answer your questions. It I hope you begin to feel better soon.

Scipio

I lost 30kgs in 3 months and another 10 throughout the year, and have also been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Having finished a 3 month course of steroids last week....

You may wish to have them recheck the diagnosis of diabetes after you've been off of the steroids for a few months. Some steroids, especially strong steroids like prednisone, often have the side effect of driving up the blood sugar and HbA1c along with it.

If this is what triggered your diabetes there is a decent chance the blood sugar and HbA1c will go back down after the steroids have been stopped for a while. In other words you may have had sort of temporary diabetes caused by the drug rather than permanent type 2 diabetes. It's worth looking into.

Welcome to the forums Tesse, and sorry to hear about your crohns troubles. From what I've read here this is a great place for advice, support and suggestions. There's a subforum about diet, fitness and supplements, maybe there are some ideas in there to help with your appetite and fatigue? Hope you can find some way to alleviate the symptoms

Steroids can mess up your body, so expect to fully recover in few more months.
What will be your long term medication after steroids?