• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about remicade

I've been on remicade for almost 14 and a half years, until recently... I've taken myself off and haven't had one since September of last year. My question is has anyone been on remicade for years and gotten off and had any kind of withdrawls from not having them anymore?

I was on remicade years ago. I took myself off because of how much it cost. That was a big mistake. I had a flare and ended up having a resection. Several months after the resection they tried to put me back on the Remicade. By that time, my body had built up resistance to it. I had a lesion in my scalp which couldn't be treated with antibiotics. It had to be removed surgically. Ask your doctor if you have been off it too long. If not, go back on it. If you can't go back on it, ask your doctor about another biologic. Let us know how you are.

I've been trying talk myself into getting back on it and getting my over due colonoscopy but I haven't completly got there yet...I guess I'm just tired. Have you had any intestines removed? And if so, did it help?

I had 6 centimeters of my intestines removed. I had all my terminal ileum removed and a small part of my colon removed. Everyone is different. It took a few months for things to settle down after my surgery.

Ok, so i finally got off my high horse and made an appointment to get my infusion for next Tuesday. I'm keeping my fingers that it will dull some pain, if anything in my skin and joints.