Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Mental Health Support » Stress, Anxiety and/or Depression

02-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Glockola

Stress, Anxiety and/or Depression

Hello!

I am currently struggling with some health anxiety issues and so I was just curious how many here suffer from stress, anxiety and/or depression?
If you do, what coping strategies if any do you find useful?
How many here are on some kind of anti-depressant? anti-anxiety medication?

There is a mental aspect to every physical disease. How we react to disease and how we cope with disease vary greatly from person to person. For example, the hair loss that some with IBD get, may not bother some people very much. However, the hair loss in someone else may make them feel depressed and more ill.
On the other hand there can be physical effects from mental illness. For example, with some mental illnesses you may not eat, or take care of yourself, very well which can cause physical problems.
02-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Lynda Lynda
Bee Keeper 🐝

My Support Groups:
My sister and I went to lunch on Thursday. We sat a long time and chatted. I ate my restaurant food. Two hours later I had to run to the restaurant restroom before I had an accident. This is embarrassing and makes me feel like not going out at all because I never know when the diarrhea is going to overcome me. My coping skills have been totally unhealthy as I feel that I might as well stay home, by the toilet, just in case I need to go to the bathroom. I have good days and bad days, as far as my colon is concerned. I have kept a food diary and that doesn't help. It is totally unpredictable. And I do not like to use restrooms in certain places where the restroom facility is not sanitized on a regular basis during the day, because back in 2015 I had C-diff. I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and Major Depression and Anxiety. Thank You for listening. Lynda
02-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Glockola

I read that a lot of people who had C-difficile are traumatised from it and scared to take antibiotics as it may trigger another infection. So I totally understand you are not alone. It can be very aggressive and difficult to treat for some.
02-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
emmaaaargh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I went to my GP about my worsening mental health a couple of weeks ago and got prescribed an anti-depressant. It looks like I have a whole host of issues (depression, GAD, OCD, possible panic disorder) but I got the distinct impression that they try hard not to just pin labels on you nowadays. I am struggling with appetite and finding the motivation to eat thanks to the depression, and the stress caused by all my university work isn't helping. On top of that, I'm still flaring, and can only wait and get worse until I see my GI in a month's time, which doesn't help my mood any!

So you're definitely not alone. In terms of coping strategies, I try to utilise short-term thinking: take things day by day, even hour by hour or minute by minute if I have to. This is hard for me, because I like to plan, but sometimes it's to my detriment and sets my anxiety in a spiral. Similarly, I try and remind myself not to borrow trouble: if something happens (like having an accident in public, say), then I'll deal with it then, instead of worrying about it so much that it prevents me from going outdoors. I'm on the waiting list for CBT to find some better coping strategies, but so far, those are the most effective for me.
Currently on: Humira 40mg fortnightly
02-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
s.a.m.

Recently, I've begun Cognitive Behavioural Therapy/treatment for anxiety. I'm doing one hour sessions weekly. I did some counseling when I was initially diagnosed about 10 years ago, but it creeps back in with the unpredictability of this disease. Take care.
02-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
CallieS

For me, when my thoughts overwhelm me, I turn to the internet and start researching. I have to believe that there is a "cure", so as all these thoughts flutter through my brain, I look them up and ask questions and try to find answers. I can see how this strategy may not work for other people, ignorance is definitely bliss, but it helps me. Knowing that I'm doing something, anything, to try to improve my situation is helpful.

Like right now, I've noticed that I'm having increased hair loss after starting a biologic a month ago. I've been worrying about it for a couple weeks, and finally went to the internet yesterday. I found out it could be a folic acid deficiency. So today I'm going to buy some supplements and spinach. LOL. They might do nothing. In reality, not much of my research has helped me physically, but it helps me mentally which is half the battle.
02-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope your hair gets better Callie. I like baby spinach the best. I often put 1/2 cup with a banana or other various fruits as a part of my daily smoothie. It turns it a green color, but still tastes pleasant. Good luck.
02-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
CallieS

Thanks, cmack! I used to drink smoothies with spinach, but then I got this thing called Crohn's, and I can't drink smoothies anymore. LOL. I guess it's too much raw fruits and vegetables. I've turned to juicing which I can tolerate, but I'm sure I don't get nearly enough nutrients. Can't seem to win.
02-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Lynda Lynda
Bee Keeper 🐝

My Support Groups:
I want to thank everyone for sharing......it gives me comfort, as well as provides me with information I can use in my own life.
02-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear that Callie, juicing is a really healthy option too. Some people handle fiber a heck of a lot better than others. There have been times when I couldn't tolerate extra fiber in the past. I stuck to broths and vegetable juices, bland soups, also I used to add more organic soy milk to my diet, (It's something I have every day still, roughly 1 cup/day). It's just less than when I was relying on only liquids for nutrition. Eventually, I was able to add more and more fiber slowly. To go along with the extra fiber, I took several rounds of VSL#3 probiotics to help break the fiber down in my gut properly. It worked for me, maybe one day you will be having smoothies again. I never thought I would be able to. I really think the specific probiotic strains in VSL #3 are what caused the improvement in fiber tolerance for me. Sorry, really not mental health related, except if you count better physical health leading to a better state of mind.

Last edited by cmack; 02-19-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: clarity
02-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
IofNewt

My Support Groups:
I don't deal with it. Don't know how or where to even begin. I don't want to talk about my illness over and over. I'm feeling better than I ever have and although that does help, I still have enough issues to frustrate the hell out of me on a daily basis.

I'm also taking enough medication that I really don't want to add to it. I am prone to panic attacks, so I do take an ativan when I need to, but that's about it.

I know NOT talking about it doesn't help, but for me... talking about it just makes me feel worse.
Started with Remicade Aug 6, 2014. Also using Imodium
Had resection in June 2013, but have a recurrence
already.
06-15-2018, 01:53 AM   #12
stephanic

If you are facing with anxiety or depression then you are not alone in this problem. Millions of people suffers from depression or anxiety problem. But it does not means that there is no treatment for such problem. But this anxiety can also lead to several health issues like suffering from PE especially in men. Yes, this is very much true as anxiety can make suffer from other sexual problems also. However it should be cured immediately otherwise it can continue to damage further.
Get more info on: mensexualclinic.com
06-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
RenLPC

I believe there is a hug correlation between mental health + physical health and nutrition. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and this very correlation has become my passion in my work. I suffer from anxiety myself and do have a prescription for Ativan, but I don't take it unless I'm absolutely overwhelmed because I think that working through anxiety on your own and proving to yourself that you can do it is so much more powerful.

I've done a food journal and am treating myself with nutrition as opposed to prescribed meds for both the anxiety and crohn's. It's definitely difficult and very frustrating. But, if you put in the time and effort to do your own research and trial and error, I'm confident you can feel some genuine improvements. Every little step counts and it's all worth it.

As for coping skills, a lot of CBT and mindfulness. Notice your negative thoughts, challenge them by replacing them with neutral statements (example: negative thought- I'm such a loser for having all these problems.; thought challenge- I have many stressors and I'm doing my best to work through all of them.), avoid judging yourself, give yourself a pep talk every day or every hour if you need to. Accept yourself for who you are and find gratitude wherever you can. Attitude is everything and you get to choose your attitude every day.
Previous Meds: Asacol, Entocort, Imuran
Curent Meds: appropriate nutrition!
06-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
TxGrizzlyBear

My Support Groups:
It's funny that I open this forum up with the intention of posting about this very subject and low and behold .. here it is .. the very first topic on my list!

I have been fighting depression for many years. Only recently I found out I had Crohn's and the GI said that from what he saw, it looked like it had been active for 10-15 years. (Yea, I know, I hate doctors and never dealt with the symptoms.)

Anyway, about the same time my husband was bitching about my memory and general funk, so after a few tests and doctor appointments .. I am now taking 25 mg Paxil every day. Problem is, after about 4 months of taking it, I can't tell any difference and have set an appointment with my doc to address it. My therapist agrees that it doesn't seems to be doing anything.

Speaking of therapist, seeing him every week for the last 3 months, we are just getting past what I call the, "I don't know you well enough to trust you" phase but last week I was in a really bad place and when I sat down, I pretty much told him that I needed to talk and he needed to listen.

I have been, I guess for the last month or so, in a kind of downward spiral with my mental health and to the point that I have seriously wished I was dead.

I know .. not a good place. But thanks to my hubby, I have been able to work through some of it. Enough anyway to not act on the feelings.

I mean damn .. I AM going through a lot of crap right now. My short term disability from work is coming to an end, My company is being bought out and the new group doesn't know how to handle me being on short term disability during the change over, it looks like I will have to go COBRA with the new companies insurance plan, but I don't know how much that is going to cost. I have a long term disability insurance plan that I am trying to get approved for but that is unknown and with no money coming in I am looking at loosing my insurance! And that is just the tip of the iceberg!

With all the unknowns, I guess it is no wonder I am barely treading water.

(I have discussed more about my personal life in this post than I have in the last 50 years of my life combined!)

I guess the point of my post is to (a) confirm that I think we all have issues with anxiety/depression, and (b) we each have to try to figure out what works best for us.

I am so glad that I found this forum when I was first diagnosed as it has helped me to realize that I am not alone! and that It will get better. but I am just like that little kid on his birthday ... I want it NOW!

Thank you for "listening!"

Jay
...Remicade
...Cholestyramine
...EnteraGam
...Budesonide
...Viberzi
...Paroxetine
Also have:
...GERD
...Gout
...Obstructive Sleep Apnea
...Major Depression/Anxiety
06-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #15
Tradewinds

It's funny that I open this forum up with the intention of posting about this very subject and low and behold .. here it is .. the very first topic on my list!

I have been fighting depression for many years. Only recently I found out I had Crohn's and the GI said that from what he saw, it looked like it had been active for 10-15 years. (Yea, I know, I hate doctors and never dealt with the symptoms.)

Anyway, about the same time my husband was bitching about my memory and general funk, so after a few tests and doctor appointments .. I am now taking 25 mg Paxil every day. Problem is, after about 4 months of taking it, I can't tell any difference and have set an appointment with my doc to address it. My therapist agrees that it doesn't seems to be doing anything.

Speaking of therapist, seeing him every week for the last 3 months, we are just getting past what I call the, "I don't know you well enough to trust you" phase but last week I was in a really bad place and when I sat down, I pretty much told him that I needed to talk and he needed to listen.

I have been, I guess for the last month or so, in a kind of downward spiral with my mental health and to the point that I have seriously wished I was dead.

I know .. not a good place. But thanks to my hubby, I have been able to work through some of it. Enough anyway to not act on the feelings.

I mean damn .. I AM going through a lot of crap right now. My short term disability from work is coming to an end, My company is being bought out and the new group doesn't know how to handle me being on short term disability during the change over, it looks like I will have to go COBRA with the new companies insurance plan, but I don't know how much that is going to cost. I have a long term disability insurance plan that I am trying to get approved for but that is unknown and with no money coming in I am looking at loosing my insurance! And that is just the tip of the iceberg!

With all the unknowns, I guess it is no wonder I am barely treading water.

(I have discussed more about my personal life in this post than I have in the last 50 years of my life combined!)

I guess the point of my post is to (a) confirm that I think we all have issues with anxiety/depression, and (b) we each have to try to figure out what works best for us.

I am so glad that I found this forum when I was first diagnosed as it has helped me to realize that I am not alone! and that It will get better. but I am just like that little kid on his birthday ... I want it NOW!

Thank you for "listening!"

Jay

You wonít always be this lowJay, hang in there, Iím suffering with anxiety and stress too at the moment. Iím 55 and youíd think it gets easier but itís not feeling like that today. Like you Iím taking short term break from work place and just concentrating on a day at a time and minding myself ... stress just puts me sitting on loo for the day so thatís not good ha ha
Anyway, no cure for you but a trouble shared can be a troubled halved, particularly when you know someone is Ďlisteningí and reassure you this too will pass , just be kind and gentle with yourself. All the best.
Tradewinds
06-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #16
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Welcome, Jay. I hope you feel better soon.
Yesterday, 02:11 AM   #17
Lynda Lynda
Bee Keeper 🐝

My Support Groups:
Hi Jay. Welcome.

Maybe you need a new medication(s)? Sometimes it takes a while to come up with the right "cocktail" of medications that work for a person. Also a correct diagnosis is important. I was misdiagnosed at one time and was prescribed the wrong medications for 6 years. Now with the correct diagnosis I am prescribed a combination of medications that work for me. I've been hospitalized for psychiatric reasons. For me I could never find a counselor that I "clicked" with. I learned so much at the hospital, from my peers and especially from an aftercare program. I learned CBT in a group setting in aftercare and at the hospital. CBT works.

Are there any kind of support groups in your area that you can participate in ?
I find great comfort in being around my "peers" ( meaning folks that are also suffering from psychiatric issues. ) Isolation is our enemy.
If you feel suicidal, please go to the Emergency Room.

I have also dealt in the past with a mental breakdown, Short Term Disability, a job loss and COBRA. Now I collect SSD benefits. You can PM me if you want to.

I was diagnosed with IBS in 1998. Diagnosed with UC in 2006. And diagnosed with Crohn's in 2018. I am 58 years old.

[ These are just my own personal opinions and experiences and are not meant to be any kind of medical advice. ]

You are an awesome person and worthy of living a full and happy life. Have hope and never give up.

Lynda 🌻

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Mental Health Support » Stress, Anxiety and/or Depression