Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stricture

02-27-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
Stricture

So, I have a fibrostenotic stricture. No active inflammation. I have had one 30 cm resection 15 yrs ago. My choices are balloon dilation to try to delay surgery, stricturplasty or resection ( probably open). Anyone have advise or thoughts/experiences??
02-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have had a resection but neither of the other two.
02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I would go for the least invasive procedure first....some people have had success with dilation being done, but unfortunately I've also heard of strictures coming back.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
02-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Guerrero

My Support Groups:
Do you have symptoms from the stricture? and if yes how bad are they?

I'd go for the less invasive and more conservative one too... from doing nothing if food go thought stricture without symptomes, to baloon dilation, strictureplasty and last last resort resection.

Usually doctors give you advice and have a plan for it, what do they recommend?
02-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I would go for the least invasive procedure first....some people have had success with dilation being done, but unfortunately I've also heard of strictures coming back.....
I agree with Lisa.
02-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
Iíve been having fairly severe symptoms since November. Iím currently ingesting about 80-90 % liquid diet due to symptoms. I have a CT scan next week, MD wants to wait until after CT results to discuss options. Iím thinking balloon if possible, if not Iíd kind of rather have resection than stricturplasty, I figure if they have to go in anyway, Iíd rather take out the diseased part than let it stay....

Do you have symptoms from the stricture? and if yes how bad are they?

I'd go for the less invasive and more conservative one too... from doing nothing if food go thought stricture without symptomes, to baloon dilation, strictureplasty and last last resort resection.

Usually doctors give you advice and have a plan for it, what do they recommend?
03-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
Trysha
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Last June I had a balloon endoscopy for esophageal stricture and so far results have been very good...no more swallowing problems.
At the same time I had an intestinal stricture which the GI dilated with instruments...it took five different probes I understand to complete these procedures...again the results have been very good and Iím so glad that surgery was avoided.
Given the choice I would always opt for non surgery.
Hugs
Trysha

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stricture