Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Immigration to Australia

02-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2018
Immigration to Australia

Hi there,

I am 25 and want to immigrate for a year to Oz. Medicare say I qualify for reciprocal health cover but only for up to 40K a year or something like that. I am going to go ahead and apply to Medicare as my inflectra infusion isnít as expensive as I thought it would be. Iím getting a letter from my GP and my GI. Iíve read to go to a GP over there who bulk bills. So does that mean I pay for it then ask Medicare to cover costs or flash my Medicare card and they say okay and bill Medicare? Also how do I go about getting a GI. Is this something I ask my GI here in uK to do? Give them a name of one and get hem to contact. I donít understand how everything works. Iím on the NHS and everything is just handed to us and I realise Iíve taken it for granted!
03-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Looked on the gov website and all I could find was it didnít cover preexsifing conditions
It seemed to be geared towards urgent care
And looks like a minefield
All I can
Think of is to join an ex pat group and ask about?
Unless you can find a phone number for it.
Seems dependant on which visa you go on
Other than that...... hard to understand is not the word
03-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Hey thank you for taking the time to look it up for me. Medicare said they will cover it because my medication is under the Reciprocal health agreeement. But I just donít know how to get a consultant over there now! Unless I find one near where Iíll be staying and ask my consultant to get in touch with them!!
03-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Join Date: Oct 2017
That sounds like a good idea actually
My friend was immigrating to nz but abandoned at the last minute,regretted it ever since and sheís off the skills shortage list
Good luck with the move!
03-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
Layla's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand

My Support Groups:
Don't you have to take and pass a medical? I expect it will be similar to immigrating to NZ and they have a medical for everyone regardless of where you come from.

A reciprocal agreement usually only works when you're on holiday somewhere not moving there for good.
Diagnosed with UC in 1994, CD in 2014, "IBS" in between
Lactose intolerant, IgA deficient and Arthritis.
Resection due to strictures in 2014
Currently taking: amitriptyline, zinc, multi vitamin, b12 shots, Vit D, B complex, magnesium, calcium, Psyllium and the occasional iron infusion, probably sarting a medical trial soon

Previously on Remicade, Humira, Prednisone, Azathioprine, MTX, Pentasa, Asacol, Salofalk
03-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
Join Date: Feb 2018
Layla itís only For a year we will have a 417 visa which is 6 months working only.
03-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: melbourne, Victoria, Australia

My Support Groups:
hi, I'm in Australia, can't comment on the reciprocal arrangements as I wouldn't know that side.
GP's often bulk bill which means you just show them your medicare card and that's all that needs to be done.
It's not likely to find a GI who bulk bills so there will be a gap payment there, for example mine charges around $120 for a review appointment and medicare pays for $64 of this. To get a GI you need a referral from your GP.
You'll find that you do have to pay for your medications which will be subsidized, but likely around $38 per prescription, so having a reciprocal health arrangement doesn't mean you'll get everything for free.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Immigration to Australia
Thread Tools

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.
Copyright 2006-2017