Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » How long does it take for Stelara to work?

03-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Sara1185

How long does it take for Stelara to work?

Remicade stopped working for me after seven years. So my new GI, switched me to Stelara. I got the loading dodecahedron last week. I a, currently on Prednisone, 20 mg, and 6 MP as well. I have heard it takes a while for Stelara to work. Can you please share your experience with me? My Crohn’s is mostly in my ileum.
03-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
I have ileal Crohn's also. My symptoms were much reduced and my gut showed a clean colonoscopy a little over 3 months after the initial dose of Stelara. However, your mileage may vary. It is commonly reported both here and in the medical literature that it can take up to 6 months for the benefits of Stelara to fully kick in.
03-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
At 6 months of Stelara Ds had a colonoscopy
Which showed minimally active chronic illeitis
So the gut was healing
Symptoms also decreased a lot by six months
Good luck
03-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Sara1185

Thank you both for your response. Can you share how long it took to see first signs of improvements?
03-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Scipio

My Support Groups:
I first noticed a reduction in abdominal pain (my most common symptom) about 2 or 3 weeks after the loading dose.
03-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
northwesterner

My Support Groups:
It took me until the first maintenance dose to be able to fully wean off of prednisone (when I tried earlier after the loading dose I would flare). Even then I had a couple of painful flareups. Once I got the second maintenance dose, things have been much better, though not entirely symptom free. The third dose should be this weekend.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » How long does it take for Stelara to work?