• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed- need reassurance

Hi, I’ve recently been diagnosed with Crohns after spending 5 weeks in hospital! I’ve been home for 2 weeks now and on steroids and infliximab. I’m in pain a lot of the time and finding it really hard to sleep. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how long it took for you to feel normal again. At the moment I just don’t see me ever feeling normal again and I’m just looking for reassurance really! Also any advice on living with Crohns would be much appreciated. Thankyou

I had a similar experience when I was newly diagnosed 10 years ago. I was in the hospital for 5 weeks after having emergency surgery to figure out what was wrong with me. 2 weeks in at home isn't very long, I know its hard to see right now but it will get better. Having a diagnosis is the most important thing, there are still a lot of people who don't have one yet and can't be treated correctly. The best thing I can tell you is to find a hobby that can distract you and keep positive. Of course follow your Drs orders. I just joined this site also and I find it reassuring to just read others stories also.
Good Luck to you and heres to feeling normal again.

Lynda Lynda

Lucylou : I am so sorry that you had to spend so much time in the hospital. 🙁

My story : In 1998 I was told I had IBS. I was diagnosed with UC in 2006. In April 2018 I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I have been taking the 6mp pill for 3 weeks now and will start my Humira pen injections soon.

It is going to take time for your medications to work. Two weeks is a very, very short time. I know it is frustrating and that is why this forum is so great, everyone here knows how you feel.

Everyone's "normal" is different.

Stress makes IBD worse, so implementing some coping skills should help. I am a chronic worrier and have anxiety so it is hard for me to relax. Everyone eventually finds something that works for them to help them through their treatment. Exercise, massage, accupuncture, chiropractic, coping skills, music, meditation, a hobby, socializing, support groups.

This forum has really helped me. I read a lot of the threads and have learned a lot. So now I am becoming more informed about my disease. I can vent away and know that the folks here understand. You will make some friends are too.

Sending you my support. 🌻

scottsma

Hello and welcome.It might be that the steroids that are causing insomnia.It's quite common.I found that taking it as early as possible in the day beneficial.so that it gets through the system before bedtime.I'd put the alarm on for 5-6 am.Take the dose with half a glass of milk (not if you're lactose intolerant of course) then go back to bed for a while.I hope it works for you.