12-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Cackman888

Asacol And "d"

Hi guys I have been on asacol 400mg 8 times a day for 1 month now, at first i had an improvement in my BM's but the last few days I'm back to D and going to the loo 6 times a day, this is still an improvement on the 14+ times a day I had for 4 months before diagnosis. I was diagnosed with mild/moderate Crohns Colitis.

I was wondering what I should do now, do I wait and see if it gets better or what do I do, I also have pretty bad cramps too.
12-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Call your doctor and let them know. Are you only on Asacol? Sorry you are not feeling well.
12-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
CrohnsHobo

Aye, talk to your Dr.

After awhile Asacol stopped working for me too.
Prone to skin infection, abcess, fistula, pyoderma, erathema

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
12-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
mwb3779
Kitchenhawk

Asacol I believe targets a direct area of the colon. Ask your dr about it.
W.C.C.....Charter member

...Never trust a fart
12-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Cog

Call your Dr

I found that sometimes these drug derivatives work for while and then things slip back to the big D

This was confirmed by other folks in the forum

Good luck
12-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Peaches

My Support Groups:
I'd keep track of your symptoms and share it with your doc. I have shared that I was Asacol for quite some time and didn't share enough with my doc that it never really seemed to help me. I never had normal BMs with it and she actually figured out that I was probably one of the 20% that it actually made worse.
12-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
crazycanuck

I was on Asacol for 2 years to start right after diagnoses. I have mild/moderate Crohn's Disease and did also see an improvement right after taking it. However after about a year the pills seemed to not work as they once did and I started getting steadily worse...this takes us up to about 5 weeks ago now. I switched doctors which meant a switch to 200mg/d of Imuran. I have made leaps and bounds in improvements already! I'm very excited. What Mike said about Asacol treating only one area is correct. My GI explained to me that it only helps out the region where your large and small intestines join. So thats all great but I also am largely affected at the end of the colon area which was left untreated and therefore the reason why I have been getting worse. So talk to your GI if a pill isn't working there is no point waiting for things to get a lot worse before you switch pills. Apparently with better treatment a lot of what I now have problems with may have been avoided.... So my advice is to go have a chat with your GI and see what he says. I also found out the value in second opinons when I went to my new doctor now. Good luck.

Diagnosed October 2007
Currently on Remicade 400mg (October 2010)

Tried Budesonide (april 2010-july 2010) & Asacol (october 2007- dec 2009) & Imuran (Dec 2009-Dec 2011)
12-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
fenway1971
Sports Crohnie

Cackman888 said:
Hi guys I have been on asacol 400mg 8 times a day for 1 month now, at first i had an improvement in my BM's but the last few days I'm back to D and going to the loo 6 times a day, this is still an improvement on the 14+ times a day I had for 4 months before diagnosis. I was diagnosed with mild/moderate Crohns Colitis.

I was wondering what I should do now, do I wait and see if it gets better or what do I do, I also have pretty bad cramps too.
According to my GI, as many as 12% of patients are allergic to the ASA (asacol, colazal, etc.) drugs. I am one of those 12% and you could be too. For me, I noticed the same thing...slight improvement in symptoms but then lots of D. I also have Crohns Colitis!

I discovered my allergy while on Asacol and Pred. I wasn't getting better as quickly as I should so stopped asacol and within days my symptoms improved.

I'm not on Imuran/6-mp. Works wonders for me.

Crohn's Colitis (2003-present)
Kidney Stones (1998, 2003, 2008)

Medication
6-MP (2009-present)

Vitamins/Supplements
Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Turmeric

Super Powers
I am Batman

12-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
I had good results from asacol for a number of years. If you have any doubts or worries you should have a word with the doc. It's what he/she gets paid for.
Great name, Cackman... I wish I'd thought of that one