• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Chocolate

I found another thread on this topic, but it wasnt exactly what I was looking for.

Im supposed to be in a flare up period right now, according to the colonoscopy a month ago, but i have experienced no symptoms yet regarding what kind of foods I eat, so basically I cant tell what foods agree and dont agree with me... which is frustrating. Is it possible that if i eat certain foods which dont agree with me (but i obviously have no way of telling that) they could create symptoms even though im on 3mg Entocort and Pentasa for another month? Has anyone experienced this before, particularly with chocolate? I am asking about chocolate in particular because i can pretty much cut out on most other foods that i like and that i should avoid but im finding it hard to stay off chocolate. Especially when theres also the disincentive of having no symptoms when im trying to cut back on chocolate.
Can most people tolerate chocolate or is it one of those foods that you have to stay off? Also im not really clear on this, do you have to stay off foods (which are problematic during a flare up), even during a period of remission?
One last question, today I heard that cigarettes are a good anti-inflammatory, is that true? Im not a smoker but that intrigued me.
Thanks for the help!

farm

Captain Insaneo
Welcome,
I can eat choc with no problems.
There was a study around my area where Nicotine (not cigarettes) was used to help suppress flares. It seemed to work in some people but they used patches not cigs or smokeless tobacco.

I know that if I eat very much chocolate - I'm going to be running to the bathroom more than likely. If I eat small amounts not very frequently I'm ok.

My GI told me no smoking when I was first diagnosed 13 years ago. Said it could cause flares in Crohn's patients - do a search on google for it.

However - I do believe I have read something on what Farm posted with nicotine.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Peaches said:
My GI told me no smoking when I was first diagnosed 13 years ago. Said it could cause flares in Crohn's patients - do a search on google for it.
Yes, I heard this at a Crohn's/Colitis conference, but smoking supposedly makes UC symptoms better, they said.

I'm fine with chocolate as far as I can tell. Just to make sure, I will test it a lot in two days. You're all welcome =D

S

Slandur

Cigarettes are inflammatory I believe, but I'll read up. I've read things saying cigarettes are BAAADDD for Crohn's, but actually beneficial for Ulcerative Colitis. I guess the nicotine helps the digestive tract move a bit more regularly, while for us the more movement the worse it is.

First hand I know cigarettes are bad for me. The problem was I didn't start seeing the immediate effects untill I was half a year in. I was ok when I was in remission, but the further I slipped, the more I would notice it from a single cigarette, and not just a day of smoking.

As for foods... Here's what I know to avoid...

Nuts... of anykind. If I do have one, I make sure I chew it up well.
Corn... Goes out the same way it goes in, just like nuts... nuff said.
Milk... Not so much the milk but Lactose is difficult for digest. Yogurt works because it actually breaks down the lactose before you are eating it.
Caffeine... Known to get things movin... Any movement internally is usually a bad thing.
Alcohol... The hangover alone should be enough to keep you away.

Those are the main things that are notoriously bad. You have to figure it out with fruits. It's not the easiest thing to tell what is affecting you and everyone's food intolerances are different.. I usually see symptoms right after I eat it, but try things out.

Try keeping a food journal. And on it keep track of any pain you have and when. After a month you'll be able to tell a little better.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ugh love chocolate, but it doesn't love me. The smoking thing is only for UC but may not even work and then you pick up an addiction.

I haven't noticed any particular problems with any foods really. That said I've still been sticking to a low residue, very boring diet! I used to eat chocolate every day and now just occasionally but don't notice any difference.

Cigarettes are definately inflammatory and not good for Crohns. Apparantly they can help with bleeding though as they restrict blood flow and so help with UC but still not recommended to start!

I can handle a little chocolate, but If I have too much I get pain right away. It sucks because I love chocolate and used to eat a lot! :(

Chocolate doesn't bother me CD or IBS wise either....infact I've never had any foods impact my symptoms, I can eat whatever I like, but I have altered my diet to healthy foods/beverages only, for my overall health and because I know certain foods/beverages can cause inflammation so I want to avoid as many culprits of inflammation as possible.

:)

S

Slandur

shazamataz said:
Cigarettes are definately inflammatory and not good for Crohns. Apparantly they can help with bleeding though as they restrict blood flow and so help with UC but still not recommended to start!

Ahhhhh... that makes sense. But does that mean restricting bloodflow is bad for us? Should we be doing things to try and improve your gut's bloodflow. That would probably aide in digestion, right?

Slandur said:
Ahhhhh... that makes sense. But does that mean restricting bloodflow is bad for us? Should we be doing things to try and improve your gut's bloodflow. That would probably aide in digestion, right?
I guess you don't want to be speeding up bloodflow if there is a bleeding issue! I dunno, I don't have this problem but I've heard others say stopping smoking makes them bleed worse.

I'm sure that however much smoking helps UC the deleterious effects on your general health are not worth the risk.
Now chocolate... that's a different thing. I can tolerate a fair amount, but too much gives me acid reflux. I tend not to indulge in the gargantuan binges of yesteryear... but I do seem to have developed a sixth sense as to when it's going to cause problems. I think I'll have some now!

Chocolate and peppermint (like drinking peppermint tea) actually relaxes the sphincter in your esophagus and can cause you to have heartburn (so says the hubby over the weekend while we were talking this exact thing over with his cousin who has UC - and LOVES peppermint tea). He says gravity works - just don't eat it or drink it before bed time and see if that helps :O) A friend of ours just gave us some peppermint chocolate cocoa mix - guess I won't be drink THAT on Christmas morning.....

Last edited:
Agent X20 said:
I'm sure that however much smoking helps UC the deleterious effects on your general health are not worth the risk.
Now chocolate... that's a different thing. I can tolerate a fair amount, but too much gives me acid reflux. I tend not to indulge in the gargantuan binges of yesteryear... but I do seem to have developed a sixth sense as to when it's going to cause problems. I think I'll have some now!
Yep!! that is my big problem with chocolate. chocolate is on my small list of things i just have to stay away from because my stomach is ulcerated and when i was flaring bad back in the day my throat was ulcerated too! swallowing a piece of chocolate was just way too painful and it still is to this day...