• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another "My Story"

It all started because my Dad passed from colon and liver cancer. When I turned 45, I decided to set my baseline. Being an Eastern European Jew, I know that my genetic tendency is toward some kind of digestive disorder. Let's check it out. My first set of colonoscopy pictures showed a broad-based, wide-spread inflammation. Started Asacol to treat the inflammation. Time passes and I am diagnosed as lactose intolerant plus tendency towards Crohn's. Stick with the Asacol, but in higher doses. Then something happens...I retire. My gut explodes. I lose weight. I have liquid running through me. I can't process food. No blood, but a general loss of energy, muscle mass and weakening. The Crohn's has taken hold of my large intestine. Bummer. I learn about cortofoam and entocort. I experience flex sig's in the office to see the descending colon inflammation. Subsequent colonscopies show a continued and spreading inflammation. I move on to 6-MP. Ok for a while until my liver enzymes starting acting up in a bad way. Stop the 6-MP and shift to Remicade. I can do anything once every 8 weeks. Again, OK for a while. Then, antibodies. Damn. Joint pain. Loss of effectiveness. Steroid drip to fix the joint pain. Can't gain weight. Can't process my food properly. Still losing energy. Next step is to increase the Remicade dosage and add back low dose 6-MP as part of combination therapy. Not much change. This has been going on for almost 2 years now. I'm now 57. I just want to feel better. Gain some weight and make a solid bowel movement. I'm not asking for much. So now we are slightly increasing the 6-MP for 6 weeks to see if I respond. If not, then we are considering switching to Cimzia injections. This is such a crap shoot (not to make a pun), but it seems that the docs are trying whatever is out there until something is found that sends the Crohn's into remission. Heavy sigh. Crohn's plus lactose intolerance plus needing to gain weight equals a real physical. mental and spiritual challenge. I'll just keep taking my pills for now.....and hope for a scientific breakthrough that gets through the FDA processes in a timely manner. Google "Crohn's Stem Cell" and see what you find.

:welcome: Feldwell! I can relate soo much there buddy!! I am on Remi (5 years) and I think I'm starting to lose response. Sorry you are having a difficult time - but glad you have joined us. I think you will find lots of support here!

Welcome Feldwell :) You've found a great place for information and support. You can browse the threads and get lots of answers to any questions, or just start one of your own!
Sounds like you had things pretty good for a long time. I know it doesn't feel good now, but if you have retired then you can put all of your energy into figuring out what will make you feel better :) Good luck!