• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Told to increase fiber in my diet.

i had my second colonoscopy today. the first one, was a year ago, which is when i was diagnosed with crohn's disease. i've been doing really well, and my colon is mostly healthy. some ulceration and narrowing of the terminal illium, a couple spots of inflammation, but not so bad.

i had a couple small polyps, which were removed. the doctor told me that i needed to increase fiber in my diet, to help avoid more polyps in the future, and gave me a list of foods to eat. i have been consuming some fiber all of this time, but i tend to avoid it. mostly, it makes me feel really bloated and sick.

i eat about a half cup of black beans almost every day. i have a tiny bit, maybe half a cup, of oatmeal about once a week. i eat one banana every day. i eat whole wheat bread most days.

i do avoid most fruits and vegetables, and nuts.

i'm nervous about adding more fiber. i guess, when we're not in a flare, we should have more fiber?

i don't really know where to start. i bought some high fiber oatmeal, and some raisin bran. i feel like i just want to get some soymilk with fiber in it, or some yogurt with added fiber, rather than try to eat fruits or vegetables, or anything that might cause me pain.

just a week ago, i had a turkey sandwich, with raw onions on it, and the onions left me feeling really sick for a few days.

i really hate the trial and error, because i hate trying anything that might make me feel sick. i get so grumpy and irritable when i'm in pain. i don't want it.

what do you guys do to have a little fiber in your diets?

My GI suggested I take fibre supplements (best advice ever), thing with fibre is you have to eat it/take it everyday, then the excess bloating and gas will go away when your system adjusts to it, same with fibre supplements, but at least with fibre supplements you know exactly how much you're taking in everyday...you should always start with the smallest amount and drink plenty of water with it.

Once my system adjusted (took me 3 months but was worth it) all my bloating was gone and my excessive gas down to minimal daily gas, just a little late at night, not like the trumpet blowing butt I had before taking fibre supplements....AND, one of the other great things for me with the supplements is once my system adjusted I have been able to eat all fibreous foods without getting gassy/bloated, all fruits, veggies, seeds/nuts, popcorn, you name it.

You have to stick with it daily in order for your system to adjust, only then do you increase your supplement amount if necessary...I have not regretted it a bit, almost 6 yrs later and I still take one fibre pill/day since my GI did say daily and indefinitely (flaring or not you should take it).

Keep in mind the excess bloating/gas that fibre can cause also happens to healthy people, this is normal and part of the adjustment of it to your system...I found it well worth the excess gas/bloating for the end result.

:)

this is so good to know! i felt worried, because i will eat half a cup of oatmeal or something, and feel so uncomfortable. fruit makes me feel terrible. i actually do have some fiber supplements. i think i will try that. i will stick with it, and hope that my body will get used to it. it would be so great.

thank you! thank you, so much.

I am amazed you can eat beans!!! I was told to stick to low residue and haven't really tried otherwise so far (it's been 6 months). How about adding some really well cooked veges in first? I cook mine til they are really soft and they seem to be fine. We must need to get SOME veges in!

Any suggestions that may help you I may be interested in too as I have been concerned about how imbalanced my diet is.

I'm also told to stay low residue. But I know that soluble fiber is easier than insoluble fiber on the guts.

I guess the only sources of fiber I eat are very well cooked veggies like carrots and zuchini. I also eat lots of bananas.

Gosh - we all get mixed information from the docs don't we? Mine said stay away from fiber! And I *know* it bothers me. And I can only imagine it would have the potential to really bother someone who has a stricture!

Jenny - my daughter went through a period where she was really constipated all the time. We had her take this stuff called Benefiber. It was much easier for her to tolerate than say Metamucil, and it would be easy for you to "ramp up" your dose as you felt you could. And if you click that link - there are recipes to cook with as well! Can you let us know how your system tolerates it? I've been afraid to try :O) But maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea...... Oh - and it is soluble fiber vs. unsoluble, so your system should hopefully tolerate it better.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I should have added that if you're a stricturing crohnie or a crohnie with blockage issues, then you need to tread with caution when it comes to fibre, still having a small amount in your daily diet is important though, fibre helps sweep the bowels of bad bacteria and aids with D &/Or C.

Insoluble fibre acts as a sponge as it passes through the digestive tract and absorbs moisture many times it's weight in water. By doing so it increases the bulk of stool and softens it as well.

Soluble fibre becomes sticky when it combines with water and forms a gel-like substance.

Of course being able to have both is ideal but one or the other is better than none at all, unless of course you're having serious stricturing/blockage issues, then be extra careful.

Fibre can feel irritating causing excess gas/bloating but this is just your system adjusting to it (took mine 3 months but was well worth it for the results) once your system adjust the gas/bloating will go away and that is when, if necessary, you'd increase it slightly...I still only take one fibre pill but that's also because I eat fibre everyday...I only eat whole foods, nothing processed or fast-foods so I eat all fruits and veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, fish, chicken and beef on occassion.

I only drink pure 100% not from concentrate juices, pineapple and orange (simply orange juice) and water and chamomile tea, no sodas or anything else.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Okay so what is better in your opinion for fibre intake? I tried metamucil and omg bloat city. I hate it when it is accompanied by pain. Dont think I can go 3 months of that...

I use Prodiem, it's similar to metamucil and yes it wasn't easy having excessive bloating and gas for those 3 months but I was already super gassy and bloated to begin with so after those 3 months it was like heaven (and I'm an athiest LOL) so for me it was well worth it....it might not take 3 months for you, it may disapate quicker (or longer than 3 months) but for me it was sooooo worth it for the end results. Making sure to take it everyday is best though so that your system can adjust quicker hopefully, although I took it everyday and it still took me 3 months, again, quite worth it.

Note, Prodiem makes a laxative too and you don't want to use that, Prodiem Stool bulking therapy is what I use.

I was told to stay away from insoluble fibre, but soluble fibre was a must. I've no idea what foods they'd come in though. I got it prescribed in raw form.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
pb4 said:
I use Prodiem, it's similar to metamucil and yes it wasn't easy having excessive bloating and gas for those 3 months but I was already super gassy and bloated to begin with so after those 3 months it was like heaven (and I'm an athiest LOL) so for me it was well worth it....it might not take 3 months for you, it may disapate quicker (or longer than 3 months) but for me it was sooooo worth it for the end results. Making sure to take it everyday is best though so that your system can adjust quicker hopefully, although I took it everyday and it still took me 3 months, again, quite worth it.

Note, Prodiem makes a laxative too and you don't want to use that, Prodiem Stool bulking therapy is what I use.

Thanks I will check it out and I really dont mind the taste of metamucile, I have a great pharmacists too, will check them out. I am willing to try it!

I try to stick to low residue also. I can't do beans anymore (and living in Mexican food central it sucks), I am trying to stay away from bread as much as I can. Oatmeal makes me sick, as do most breakfast cereals. If I want something binding I go with apple sauce. That seems to help me a lot.

Just a lot of trial and error.

Years ago before I was DX with CD my MIL suggested that I increase my fiber so I did. I really added a lot of Barley and Hopps to my diet that day. It came back to bite her in the butt later that day when I was sitting on her toilet with the poops and I threw up on her newly cleaned rug. So much for fiber.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I am thinking maybe I should try it once or twice , it it hurts I will pass. I have metamusil but it is kinda old, gotta check the date..

Pirate said:
Years ago before I was DX with CD my MIL suggested that I increase my fiber so I did. I really added a lot of Barley and Hopps to my diet that day. It came back to bite her in the butt later that day when I was sitting on her toilet with the poops and I threw up on her newly cleaned rug. So much for fiber.
LMAO!

shazamataz - i can't believe i can have beans either! so far, i can handle black beans and pinto beans. every other kind i've tried has made me feel pretty bad. i only have a little bit at a time. though, i do eat them almost every day.

i'm really glad to see that i'm not alone in trying to find a balance.

peaches - i thought about trying some kind of stir in fiber powder, when i was at the store buying the raisin bran. it's a really good idea. since i have some fiber pills, i'm going to start with that. i will let you know how it goes.

it's weird, because i really thought fiber was bad for us with crohn's. everything i read, even the materials my doctors gave me initially, tell me to stay away from it. now, they're telling me to increase it. i mean, they gave me a list with broccoli on it, and apples with the skin. i'm not really going to try either of those.

i don't know. it really is just trial and error. i tend to listen to my body more than doctors or books. i do know, that i don't want to have more polyps. i don't want to get cancer. i want my intestines to work as correctly as they possibly can. if i can manage to increase my fiber intake with pills or stir in powder, or some cereal, if the pain will eventually cease, and my body will get used to it, i will do it.

it's just weird. it's hard to know what's right. i don't want to make things worse, and i want to stay healthy in the long run. it's really tricky to find a balance and keep a balance. it's hard, and confusing.

Creepy Lurker said:
I was told to stay away from insoluble fibre, but soluble fibre was a must. I've no idea what foods they'd come in though. I got it prescribed in raw form.

I can help you with that, soluble fibre comes natrally from things like fruits, veggies, seeds, brown rice, barley, oats and oatbran.

In general it's important for us to drink plenty of water regardless, my mom has UC, she had some issues with getting some bad teeth pulled out and now has temporary dentures so she is still having issues with eating/drinking, she's developed kidney failure 3 times now since july 09...docs figure the next time will be her last, she's 82, flaring with her UC ended up getting C-diff and thrush along with her sore mouth issues...so regardless make sure you drink plenty of water daily.

Re; fibre, if you've been avoiding it and plan to start with it, go slow, if you're going to try fibre via foods then go slow with eating it every other day and just a small amount, increasing slowly...some is always better than none.

Good luck to all that are going to give fibre a go.

Whole grain breads are a great option. Make sure that they are at least 50-60% whole grains. Some brands will give you 10% whole grains and claim a victory. Also look at Morningstar breakfast sausage patties and hulled (not pearled) barley. Hulled barley is a personal favorite of mine. It has a nice nutty flavour and some crunch.

Good luck!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I have been looking over this thread and contemplating trying a fiber supplement...here is just some info I used so I could make a decision. I am going to give it a go and see what happens...I may blow up the septic system!!

Both soluble and insoluble fiber are undigested. They are therefore not absorbed into the bloodstream. Instead of being used for energy, fiber is excreted from our bodies. Soluble fiber forms a gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not. Insoluble fiber passes through our intestines largely intact.

There are three main types of soluble fiber supplements: psyllium, methylcellulose, and polycarbophil.

Psyllium
Brand names: Metamucil, Fiberall, Hydrocil, Konsyl, Perdiem, SerutanPsyllium is a fiber supplement that can be taken every day to bulk up stool, making it easier to pass. It works by breaking down in the gut and becoming a food source for the "good bacteria" there. It is used for treating constipation, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and diverticulosis. In addition, psyllium may also lower cholesterol levels by 10 to 15 percent. On the downside, psyllium does contain calories and may cause gas.

Methylcellulose
Brand name: Citrucel

Methylcellulose is a fiber that is nonallergenic, non-fermentable, can be taken every day, and is created from the cell wall of plants. It is not absorbed by the intestinal tract but instead absorbs water to create a softer stool. Methylcellulose is often used to treat constipation, diverticulosis, irritable bowel syndrome, and some cases of diarrhea. Because it does not ferment, it is less likely to cause intestinal gas.

Polycarbophil
Brand names: Fibercon, Fiber-Lax, Equalactin, Mitrolan
Similar to methylcellulose, polycarbophil is created from plants and is not absorbed by the body. It absorbs water in the intestinal tract and creates a bulkier and softer stool. Polycarbophil is less likely to cause bloating and can be used long term. It may be used to treat constipation, IBS and diverticulosis. This form of fiber is not appropriate for people who have difficulty swallowing.

Soluble fiber is found in varying quantities in all plant foods, including:

legumes (peas, soybeans, and other beans)
oats, rye, chia, and barley
some fruits and fruit juices (including prune juice, plums, berries, bananas, and the insides of apples and pears)
certain vegetables such as broccoli, carrots and Jerusalem artichokes
root vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onions (skins of these vegetables are sources of insoluble fiber)
psyllium seed husk (a mucilage soluble fiber).
Sources of insoluble fiber include:
whole grain foods
wheat and corn bran
nuts and seeds
potato skins
flax seed
lignans
vegetables such as green beans, cauliflower, zucchini (courgette), celery, and nopal
the skins of some fruits, including tomatoes[5]

Last edited:
Yes....

Insoluble fibre acts as a sponge as it passes through the digestive tract and absorbs moisture many times it's weight in water. By doing so it increases the bulk of stool and softens it as well.

Soluble fibre becomes sticky when it combines with water and forms a gel-like substance.

well, it's been a week. i have been having a little bit of raisin bran here and there, and i have been taking a fiber pill on most days.

i feel totally fine. i'm experiencing a lot of bloating, but it seems to be really helping my bowel movements. this is a good thing. i think it's going well, and i will continue to take the fiber pill, and slowly increase fiber in my diet.

So, do you currently have diarrhea or mostly normal BMs? I'm just wondering if you do have D - if the fiber helps you with that at all.

i think i have mostly normal BMs.

i haven't had regular diarrhea in a long time, not in almost a year. i only have it once in a while. as soon as i started taking pentasa, the diarrhea went away. for a long time, my stool was very soft, though, or loose. not normal, but not diarrhea.

for the last few months, maybe since september, i've been really struggling with constipation. i had started taking calcium, magnesium, and iron, which is what i think was causing the constipation. the fiber has really helped with that.

are you having diarrhea all of the time? i read about oatmeal helping, and applesauce, but i also hear that some people just always have it for years and years.

Mmmm, irregular D - mainly just not "normal". I'll try the oatmeal - I know I can't do the applesauce - pectin gives me D. Thanks for the info!

I find Im ok with fiber I generally eat lots of fruit and vegies! Except at the moment Im struggling to get anything down with no appetite. I really hate when that happens as you know the food tastes good normally but you just cant stand it at the moment. I very similar to you jenny with my bowel movements I only get D when flaring but otherwise Im normal to constipated.

Before I started taking fibre supplements (on the recommendation of my GI) my stool consistancy was anywhere from loose (but not really watery D, to mush to slightly formed...since taking fibre supplements they have been totally formed, with the exception of sometimes during my periods, everything goes a little nutty around that time, but even during my periods I don't tend to get watery D, they usually just end up being a little more on the semi-formed kind.

mjr

Hi
I've been reading through this and it is very confusing. I think for doctors too. My doctor had me on low fiber then specific carb and recently told me to go back to low fiber.
None helped until I went no fiber in desperation for some relief. I was told oatmeal white bread and such should be fine. No it wasn't. It took about a week for me to feel an improvement. My pain is all still there my nausea vomiting gas and bloating is reduced. Also I started remicade in January and that seemed to somehow suppressed my dairy allergy so I can now consume dairy as long as I take a lactase. Now dairy is a main food interesting as I've had to avoid dairy for over 6 years.
The no fiber diet is giving me some improvements via spurts of energy. So now I am able to read a little bit then rest. I don't get hardly anything accomplished each day. But it is improving and that is great it has been a long haul to get some improvement in my symptoms.
God bless

mjr, I'm more along the same lines that you are. I was eating a high fiber diet (lots of raw veggies and whole-grain bread and pastas) and holy cow, was I bloated and in pain. Since I've cut all of that stuff out the bloating and pain is better. I'm lactose intolerant too so no dairy for me, unless I take a lactaid I can (sometimes) eat food that has milk in it, but not much. I find that now I'm afraid to add back in even the white-flour products that are supposed to be okay (and I don't like white bread, which doesn't help). So now I'm struggling to find foods that I can eat, and maintain my weight. I have found that I do like Kefir milk quite a lot, and it's one good way to add calories, plus the probiotics that are supposed to be so helpful to the gut.:thumright:

mjr

Eating yogurt lots and lots. Never used to be able to, dairy would cause severe migraine that would last and last and last. Soups free of vegetables with egg noodles.
It sucks but gotta do what works for now.

It does suck, doesn't it? Eating for pleasure seems to be out of the picture for the most part. We recently moved here to Minnesota and had plans to travel around the area and try new restaurants, but I'm thinking my options are going to be severely limited, at least for a while. <sigh>
At least I do like chicken and fish, since I'm eating quite a lot of them these days... miss my spicy food though.