• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe Joint Pain

I know its long but please read it and reply! Ok, here it is. I woke up last night at 3am due to a really really bad joint pain issue. My knees mainly, but even my ankles and hips and the bones in between really seemed to ache. My knees were far worse though. couldn't move them but i had to cause it helped the pain a little. but when i got up to get out of bed i could barely hold myself up. This went on for about three hours until I took some motrin, (which I am not supposed to take) then 30 minutes later the pain subsided just enough to be able to sleep a little bit. I am on Humira, Pentasa, and 6mp and recently put back on prednisone, the last time i was on prednisone i had similiar problems except not nearly this bad. So my question to you all is, have you had similiar symptoms to this and if you have were you one prednisone? My doctor is weening me off of the prednisone currently and when I called this morning she said to see my primary care, I told her that I think its from the prednisone so what would the point of doing that be. She said I can have the motrin in moderation if need be if it seems to help. If you google prednisone this is what you will come up with.
http://www.olivija.com/prednisone/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prednisone
http://www.nonf.org/nofbrochure/nonf-brochure.htm
the last link has some info about osteonecrosis which can be caused from Corticosteroids which is what prednisone is.

I have been on steroids many, many times and haven't experienced this. I do believe that Farm said he gets joint pain with steroids though. And one other person has had to have double hip replacement from steroid use/osteonecrosis. I think this happens mainly at the head of your hip joint though - right? Seems like your GI should be willing to be more involved with this??? Joint pain can also just be plain old Crohn's giving you fits. The only time I experienced joint pain was right before I was diagnosed with Crohn's and my disease activity was at its worst. I was 27 and walked around like an old lady because my knees hurt so bad. I'd think maybe a rheumy appt might be in order more so than a GP appt, but that is just if your GI won't get involved. Good luck!

interesting, yea i read that thread about the leg pain and it does seem pretty similiar. im just worried. I am on humira which treats crohns and ra but the prednisone is also an anti inflamitory drug, and its worst at night when i am laying down. I have an appt with my gi next wednesday and i just want to be able to have an arsenal of questions for him.

LOL! I hear you - I do my GI that way too. Hey - we have to take care of ourselves right? Hoping the pain subsides, must be miserable trying to sleep with it.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Gotta RabbitGTI, you gotta check out the new ones lol.... Sorry you are going thru so much pain but with all the drugs you are on, it is hard to pin point what makes it worse. Since most are supposed to help arthritis it makes me wonder. I dont care what anyone says I still think we Crohnies have our own special arthritis... isn't that just great. Motrin is a no no, but I understand when you want out of pain. Try having a warm bath, it helps circulation and makes your meds work better. Hope you get relief soon!

well, I am a husband.... sorry for the lack of introduction... I am 25, My name is Andrew, Married with one daughter and another on the way. I work in the hydraulic industry. And yes I do like baths... lol. we have a jacuzzi style tub so its very relaxing.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Good luck rabbit....Many people complain of joint pain during weaning of Pred...It is one terrific yet horrible drug!...You may need to take Tylenol or something else that the doctor recommends around the clock until it gets under control. Just be careful the NSAIDS don't mess with your gut.

Hey Pop - is it the weaning off that does it? Does it kick up inflammation or something? Never could understand that with pred.

My first week back on Pred I had some really bad Hip/Thigh Pain. Two weeks later it has gone away and I was able to get back out and run 6 miles last weekend.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Peaches said:
Hey Pop - is it the weaning off that does it? Does it kick up inflammation or something? Never could understand that with pred.

...The whole inflammatory process is one long cascade of events. One chemical released here caused another to be released there....I'm guessing it has do with how corticoid steroids interfere with the process...just a guess.

hey guys thanks a bunch! that helps me understand a little better about my current situation. I guess im not alone which is comforting.

I have been experiencing extreme joint pain for some time now. My rheumatologist has put me on Celebrex. It has helped some, but he feels that the Crohns is the culprit making me ache. My doctor has upped by Imuran to the Max dosage. If that does not help, then he is going to prescripe Humira. When you are aching all over it sure does make everyday tasks horrible! I certainly know how you are feeling!!! Hope you get some relief soon .

I have joint pain alot. It varies day to day. Always the right knee sometimes shoulders wrist ankle back hip. I was told by my GI that if its not red or inflamed its not arthritis. I have been off prednisone for months and its seems the pain is only getting worse. Sometimes it lays me up for days at a time.