01-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Guest1

Children and IBD

I know we've had a discussion or two about how apprehensive us parents have gotten when our kiddos show "symptoms". The paranoia sets in and we freak when there's a tummy ache, a bout of massive d, etc.

A while back, I had posted that I was concerned about my middle son's bowels. I mentioned to his PCP that he's been complaining of stomach pain near his belly button, has urgency and d (from what I can tell none of his BM's are solid) and really struggles to make it to the toilet on time. He's aware of my diagnosis and luckily, has some knowledge on Crohn's since he has a few children patients with it unfortunately, so he decided to put my son on a daily laxative to get him more regular and ordered an abdominal x-ray, which came back normal -- figured it would. It's been months and months and there's no improvement. He said if the laxative didn't get things in order that he'd go ahead and refer him to a GI, so I guess that's the next step.

The past few days he's been complaining that his butt hurts and with tears in his eyes will ask me if I have any medicine (Calmo preferably, LOL). Poor kid would kill me if he knew I was typing this up, but I decided to sneak a peak, so I took him to the bathroom, had him spread 'em and everything looked perfectly fine. There's no redness, sores, etc. and he told me it was "up in there". God, now I'm paranoid that the poor kid might have something IBD related up in there that I can't see. It's really uncomfortable for him and seems to be worse after a BM.

::sigh:: Wish us luck. My poor boy...
01-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Peaches

My Support Groups:
God Nessa - I'm sorry - that would freak me out as well. I wonder why he gave him *laxatives* if he is having diarrhea?? That seems counterintuative doesn't it? I would think he would try fiber first?? I'd think it is time to get him in to the pediatric GI and let them take a peek - definitely mention that rectal discomfort. I'm sorry :O( I hope it passes for him until you can get him in. Poor guy!
01-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
misscris

So sorry to hear that Nessa. Your poor little darling. It's such a helpless feeling to not be able to help your little ones when they hurt. Keep us posted on what you find out. I wish you both the best of luck for sure! You'll both be in my thoughts .... more than normal.

W.C.C.....Charter member
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
shazamataz

Hey Nessa, so sorry to hear one of your babies is having problems! I hope you can get him seen soon and hope he doesn't have IBD! I'm confused about the laxatives also - surely that would make the D worse!??
01-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Pirate

Nessa my heart breaks for you and your son. I can handle learning of adults being DX but to have a child this young having problems is rotten.
Janis and I will keep you and your son in our thoughts and will pray for the best news ever told a mom.
Good luck Nessa

Greg Yancer
Diagnosed w/ CD Febuary 1986
No surgeries
Current meds:REMICADE (CATS SCARE ME), Pentasa, Nexium, Probonics.
01-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Guest1

Peaches said:
God Nessa - I'm sorry - that would freak me out as well. I wonder why he gave him *laxatives* if he is having diarrhea?? That seems counterintuative doesn't it? I would think he would try fiber first?? I'd think it is time to get him in to the pediatric GI and let them take a peek - definitely mention that rectal discomfort. I'm sorry :O( I hope it passes for him until you can get him in. Poor guy!
He had said that he *thought* it was possible that he had been really constipated and it was possible he was so backed up that the only thing that could pass was liquid. I guess sort of like water leaking out around a cork? If I recall, he said it was pretty common among children to have that problem, so he wanted to try that first before getting nervous over the thought of IBD.

Argh, I guess we'll see. =/
01-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Guest1

Thanks a bunch everyone. It really is great to have you guys for support and understand where I'm coming from.

I know exactly what you mean, Pirate. I can't even imagine my baby needing surgeries, taking medication every day for the rest of his life and all of the other yucky stuff that comes along with it.
01-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

sorry Nessa, that has to be a parents nightmare. I can deal with my own pains but I would feel helpless and have when my daughter is sick with a nasty bug. I hope you get some answers and soon, being in pain is very hard for a child and a child to explain it to you. How old is he? Hugs to you both.
01-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Guest1

Jettalady said:
sorry Nessa, that has to be a parents nightmare. I can deal with my own pains but I would feel helpless and have when my daughter is sick with a nasty bug. I hope you get some answers and soon, being in pain is very hard for a child and a child to explain it to you. How old is he? Hugs to you both.
Thank you. He's only 6 years old.

I have to be honest -- I'm not even entirely sure how long these symptoms have been going on. Up until my diagnosis, frequency, massive d and pain were just "part of the process". I didn't know what a regular BM was, so this might've been going on with my boy for longer than what I think. It wasn't until I was dx'ed last year that something clicked and I realized I had to pay better attention to him, especially when I found out that he was hiding his soiled underwear in his bedroom drawers. Bless his heart, he was so embarrassed that he was having accidents that he was hiding his messy clothes!
01-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

My grand neice is going thru the same thing, I never did find out the results because not long after she had to get her tonsils out. Apparently she is just like me. Her mother, my neice, has a mouth like me too, they always call her Penny when she is bad.

My brother has UC and my niece has an aunt with UC so, there is connection there. Genes are a funny thing.
02-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Fog Ducker

Oh thats brutal Nessa! Well I hope it is just a little bit backed up like the doc thought.
Did you get a chance to tell him that messing his underoos isnt something that he has to try and hide from you? That is too cute though!
Poor little guy! I feel for him

Dx UC: 2006. Dx CD: 2008
Current Meds: Remecade 800mg evry 6 weeks, Methatrexate 7.5mg once a week oraly, Asacol 800mg 3 times a day.
02-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
misscris

vshirey317 said:
It wasn't until I was dx'ed last year that something clicked and I realized I had to pay better attention to him, especially when I found out that he was hiding his soiled underwear in his bedroom drawers. Bless his heart, he was so embarrassed that he was having accidents that he was hiding his messy clothes!
Oh my goodness. Poor little mister. That totally broke my heart, how sad is that?
02-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #13
Nic

Nessa, I'm so sorry to hear about your little man. I hope they figure it out soon so that he can get feeling better! You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Previous Meds: Imuran, Azathioprene, Prednisone, Entocort, Pentasa

Flinstones Vitamins, Iron & Ensure (when I can get them down these days!!)
02-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #14
Tan

Nes, thinking of you and your beautiful son... I really hope and pray he is just backed up and it will all pass without anything major coming of it. My heart breaks for your little man there would be nothing worse then fearing your child has this disease. Best of luck hun.
02-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #15
Guestly

Oh poor little sausage. I hope you get some answers soon.

Obviously the preference is for it NOT to be IBD, but just to give you some hope, my son Paddy has suffered with UC all his life, he is eight, and he totally takes it in his stride. Me, I mope about, mourning the loss of the fabulous life I claim to have once had... He just gets on with it. While I would obviously rather he didn't have it, I do think in some ways it's better to have it young, he knows no different so he doesn't feel hard done by... And we have in jokes and secret passwords to let eCh other know how our respective bowels are doing! We even share a shelf in the bathroom cabinet for our nappies and soothing wipes!

I pray your son doesn't have IBD, but if he does, thank god he has you for his mummy, you will always know better than anyone what he is going through.

Thoughts and prayers x

lishyloo x
02-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
Guest1

You all have no idea how much these replies mean to me -- thank you all SO, so much. I'm feel extremely blessed to have you all for a support system.

Poor kid, I started noticing the underwear thing when he would come home wearing clothes from the nurses office. I'd ask him what happened and he'd stutter and say, "I spilled milk on me at lunch"! It wasn't until I'd take the clothes out of the plastic bag I'd really they were soiled with poop. Then I'd go to put laundry away in their rooms, find crunched up underwear in his dresser that had been "sharted" on. I confronted him very gently about it and told him that he didn't need to hide that from me, that it wasn't hygenic and he didn't have to be embarrassed, so he stopped, but then it got me thinking -- I just can't have him doing this at school. Children can be cruel and the LAST thing he needs is a reputation for having poop accidents, smelling, etc.

Aw, Lishy, I always enjoy reading little Paddy stories. He truly is a little inspiration
02-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #17
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Your son has one lucky thing...he has a great mom, take comfort in that, I know your a good mom!

Last edited by Crohn's 35; 02-01-2010 at 10:40 AM.
02-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #18
tamesis

Nessa, i'm so sorry to hear what your son is going through. My mom feels very similarly, i believe, due to my recent problems....She also has Crohns, and has been very empathetic through all my troubles. I truly hope that you can get some answers very soon.
02-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
Guestly

Hey, the good thing is he's a boy!!! Boys don't seem to have the same worry about being stinkers! My biggest fear has always been that Paddy will have ab
an accident at school for exactly the reasons you mention, kids can be so cruel.

Fortunately Paddy has a special signal for his tea her and is allowed to go whenever he wants, and despite the fact that he is an olympic farter (I'd hate to be the kid that sits next to him), apparently no one has ever realised it's him!

I think at that age, all the kids are a bit "windy" and narrowing it down to one individual is tricky... Paddy is pretty proud of his bum trumpet anyway!

Good luck!

Oh and, remember I had a code brown recently when tea hing a class and nobody realised it was me! Boys are foul!

I hope it will be ok x

lishyloo x
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Guest1

Lishyloo said:
Hey, the good thing is he's a boy!!! Boys don't seem to have the same worry about being stinkers! My biggest fear has always been that Paddy will have ab
an accident at school for exactly the reasons you mention, kids can be so cruel.

Fortunately Paddy has a special signal for his tea her and is allowed to go whenever he wants, and despite the fact that he is an olympic farter (I'd hate to be the kid that sits next to him), apparently no one has ever realised it's him!

I think at that age, all the kids are a bit "windy" and narrowing it down to one individual is tricky... Paddy is pretty proud of his bum trumpet anyway!

Good luck!

Oh and, remember I had a code brown recently when tea hing a class and nobody realised it was me! Boys are foul!

I hope it will be ok x

lishyloo x
LMAO! You always make my day with your stories, LOL! You make a good point -- boys love to fart. Aidan (the one experiencing trouble) loves to claim others farts all the time. Someone in another country could cut the cheese and he'd gladly stand tall and say it was his. :X
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
Fog Ducker

Lishy you are so right, boys get off so easy in the farting department. We are proud when its loud and stinky! Even more so when we are young
02-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Guestly

Boys never grow up either.... My husband claims his are a mating call.... Dunno who he's trying to mate with coz I have never responded amorously to his butt calling!

I am a lone female in a house full of proud flatulent men.... I try to pretend I am nothing like the beasts that surround me, that I am some knd of rose scented goddess but sadly I have crohns and generally end up grossing them out more than they ever could me!

Sorry, thread divert there. I am still hoping he doesn't have IBD, but if he does, as above, I think being a boy he will be able to take great pride in being totally foul! Boys have it easy, being the best at farting makes you cool!
02-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #23
Guest1

Lishyloo said:
Boys never grow up either.... My husband claims his are a mating call.... Dunno who he's trying to mate with coz I have never responded amorously to his butt calling!

I am a lone female in a house full of proud flatulent men.... I try to pretend I am nothing like the beasts that surround me, that I am some knd of rose scented goddess but sadly I have crohns and generally end up grossing them out more than they ever could me!

Sorry, thread divert there. I am still hoping he doesn't have IBD, but if he does, as above, I think being a boy he will be able to take great pride in being totally foul! Boys have it easy, being the best at farting makes you cool!
::spew:: You crack me up so much, Lishy! Believe me, I can relate! Don't worry about the thread divert -- I do it to every other thread myself. :X
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #24
Peaches

My Support Groups:
I think if I EVER feel depressed, down, self sorrying sack of doo doo - I can just search for Lishy's posts - one or two will do ya - and you are right as rain again! My tummy hurts from laughing!

Nessa - the constipation thing does make sense actually. Poor baby - keep us posted and I'll be praying for you both.
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
Guest1

Peaches said:
I think if I EVER feel depressed, down, self sorrying sack of doo doo - I can just search for Lishy's posts - one or two will do ya - and you are right as rain again! My tummy hurts from laughing!

Nessa - the constipation thing does make sense actually. Poor baby - keep us posted and I'll be praying for you both.
Thanks!
02-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #26
Guestly

02-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #27
Sue-2009

"I know exactly what you mean, Pirate. I can't even imagine my baby needing surgeries, taking medication every day for the rest of his life and all of the other yucky stuff that comes along with it."
Nessa--You are experiencing my fears. I can handle (most) anything the good lord sends me....but, please please not my daughters. I hope things work out. Please keep us posted. The stress isn't good for us Crohnies. Keep leaning on us! How old is your boy? And you are right, boys are different--they are proud of their bodily functions! LOL! Stay positive, keep thinking it will be better for them than us....And remember...he has you, from your posts you are one strong chicky...He's lucky to have you! Peace, Sue
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
Guest1

*Update*

Aidan was sent to the nurses office today because it hurt to sit on the carpet in his classroom. Bless his little heart, I took him back to the bathroom and took a peak again. I didn't see anything the first time, but this time I had to spread his little butt apart further and saw that where the "cheek" meets his rectum, he has this...well, I can't really explain it. It's not an open sore, no puss, etc. Maybe a hemorrhoid? Does anyone have any idea what it could be or does it sound like a hemorrhoid? I'm making him an appointment for tomorrow, so hopefully we can figure that out by tomorrow, argh!

Edit: Appointment is at 9am for him. Wish us luck!

Last edited by Guest1; 02-02-2010 at 06:13 PM.
02-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
Fog Ducker

Best bet is to google pics of roids, yeah thats goona be pretty gross, but if you cant wait till tomorrow it might be your best bet. I hope it is just a little roid and not something more.
Make sure you let us know how you make out in the morning!
02-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #30
Guest1

Thanks Fog, I tried googling pics and it doesn't look like a hemorrhoid. Unfortunately, I'm thinking it might be a perianal abscess, however I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions. From what I've gathered, a way to tell the difference between the two is that an abscess forms a lot quicker than a roid. Sure enough, I know for a fact that thing wasn't on his bum yesterday. Even within a few hours time he was cringing in pain, is having difficulty walking and starts bawling uncontrollably when I try to take the slightest look. Again, it was really hard to see, but I saw a speck of white on it, too -- I'm wondering if it's pus trying to emerge. If I didn't have a docs appointment for him first thing in the morning, I would've just taken him to the ER, but he's fast asleep in bed right now and isn't showing any signs of infection, so hopefully we should be okay with waiting 12 hours.