• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My intro...

Nyx

Hi everyone,

My name is Cindy, I'm from Barrie, Ontario, Canada, and I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2006. I've gone through several stages of the disease and have just recently had an emergency colostomy. Unfortunately, it all happened over Christmas and New Years (sucky time to be in the hospital!) but it seems to have turned out for the best, for me anyway. I'm no longer getting up 5 or 6 times in the night, I don't have the diarrhea, or constipation, and the best part is that I'm not on any meds for the disease at all (for now anyway). I still have another surgery to go through at some point to have my rectum removed, but that won't be for a while yet.

Any advice on colostomy appliances, how to get your clothes to fit, and just basic day to day stuff that I may not know would be appreciated! I've got a good ET nurse, but she doesn't have a stoma so doesn't know what it's like to have to live with one. So far it's been ok, besides the mortifying farting noises coming from my belly (but the kids giggle so that makes it alright...well, sometimes).

I'm so glad I found this forum :)

Welcome Nyx!
Im originally from Sutton, just the other side of the lake!!

Thats too bad you were in the hospital over the holidays :( But at least things are sounding better.
Its good that you found this forum, everyone here is so nice and friendly. And so supportive.
Sorry I cant help with any of your questions, but Im sure someone on here will be along shortly.

Hope you heal up quickly :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Cindy, I too went past Barrie every weekend to our cottage in Haliburton, I have some family there too.

Welcome to the forum, you went through heavy stuff in a short period of time. The best person, off hand is Kello she has all kinds of information. Cant find the thread at the moment.

I have had resections and sorry I dont have your problem. You have a good attitude and glad you are here and getting better!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Cindy.....Your attitude is wonderful. I am so glad the colostomy has given you some relief. There are a few other people here who have stomas as well. I hope they can give you some good tips.....It's nice to have you here and welcome again.

Welcome Cindy! Glad you have found us :) great people and heaps if information if you have a look around. There is a 'surgery' thread somewhere that kello started and she has shared a LOT of experience there.

Hi there! yay! You have a bag. i love my bag, her name is Maggie. I was 26 when i got mine and a little self conscious at first. i have found that if i wear two layers it doesnt really show at all. So I now own a boobtube in almost every colour. a boobtube is a singlet/under vest (not sure what you would call them in America) without sleeves. they are great because they are long and stretchy and you can put your arms in the air (like you just dont care) without your bag flapping out. you can wear them any time of year as well. i wear them under summer tops/ winter tops.

Also, tops that have a babydoll cut (a seam under the boobs) are really good. And tops that have an elastic band (or tight band) around the bottom so they sort of puff over at the bottom. tops that have rouching on the side work as well. I have lovely friends who are always looking out for tops that would "work" with my bag

I find low cut (low waist) jeans and pants the best. They give my bag room to fill up. high wasted pants would cut it in half, if Im making sense.

Skirts are good, because it can fill up to it's hearts content.

I dont really wear dresses, but Ive recently bought one for a wedding Im going to. it's got a baby doll cut (I think sometimes it's called an empire line) and made out of heavy cotton, so will hold it's shape and not cling to my tummy.

it's amazing what you can find when you start looking.

also, I stopped making so many popping noises after I while. dont know if you'll be the same. i have an ileostomy though, so that might make a difference.

have fun, and enjoy your drug free remission!

Hey Barrie girl - welcome! I'm originally from Midland! Not far down the road but I met and married a crazy American fellow so I now live near Memphis Tennessee. I was just home for Christmas and I can tell ya I don't miss the snow! I don't have a bag but there is a good site called womanwithin that has a lot of the shirts that kiwijo was talking about - ones that have a like a seam under the boobs and look roomie for the rest of the bod - so you would have lots of room for Mr. Farty...Hope you heal up nicely and again welcome fellow Canuck!

Nyx

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) I'm going to have a look around and see what I can see!

Kello had a great thread dedicated to ostomy fashion!

I only had a percutaneous drain that was removed after a couple of months. It was a lot easier to manage as I could strap the bag to my thigh. I just had to watch that the tube didn't get caught up on things if I left it flapping around :D

Welcome Cindy, I have a urostomy bag for about two years now hopefully I won't need colostomy bag in the future. I have less issues of course, but I still have a hard time with mine, still have a hard time with finding clothes , its been hard to find long enough tops that don't clinge and pants they are too low or to high and if they fall in the middle they leak or bug the crap out of me .OH I MEAN URINE ;) But you look like a small girl and pretty so you will probabely not have a hard time finding really cute clothes. Good Luck ! Glad your feeling well. Keep us posted on your other surgery.

I hope the folks are giving loads of advise.

I've an illeostomy too. But being male means that I get away with a lot more with regards to clothes.

The farting noises stopes for me after a while too.

Welcome Nyx! I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and thank you for your great advice the other night. I never would have gone to the ER if not for you and as it turns out I do have a twisted and blocked intestine. Good luck to you and thanks again!

Nyx

Jer's Girl said:
Welcome Nyx! I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and thank you for your great advice the other night. I never would have gone to the ER if not for you and as it turns out I do have a twisted and blocked intestine. Good luck to you and thanks again!
No problem! That's what we're all here for, support and advice. I'm glad you didn't put it off....good luck to you too!!

ameslouise

Hi Nyx -I had an ileostomy for a year before I got my j-pouch. I was determined to wear a bikini.... and I did! I got a waist-high skirted bikini with really flouncy skirt and you couldn't even tell I had bag! My family was amazed. I bought the bottom a couple sizes too big to make sure it wasn't too constricting. Land's End has a lot of skirted styles and you can buy separates in different sizes.

I also found "inimate" lingerie that was pretty interesting....

Good luck!

Nyx

Thanks ameslouise...I saw a wonderful bathing suit in the Victoria's Secret catalogue that I might try out...now I just have to figure out how to keep my flange from falling off in the water....lol

I also need to know about this 'intimate' lingerie too....if you can pm me the info that would be great...unless it's appropriate to post that info here :)

ameslouise

Nyx said:
I also need to know about this 'intimate' lingerie too....if you can pm me the info that would be great...unless it's appropriate to post that info here :)
Well, what the heck - we talk about our poops and saggy disappearing boobs so why not?!?!

It's been a few years but if memory serves, I got mine here:

http://www.options-ostomy.com/ladies-store.php

Backless, split crotch style. Okay, I know all you non-ostomates are dying to see what you are missing!

Not exactly Fredericks of Hollywood, but pretty and practical!

- Amy

Hey Nyx,

Looks like you've got a lot of great advice here, but I don't think anyone has yet pointed you to the UOAA (united ostomy associations of america) forum, which is FULL of useful info, especially at the beginning. I just had an emergency ileostomy in December, and I've learned a whole lot about every possible facet of having a stoma from the folks there... I recommend it! Here's the link:
http://www.uoaa.org/forum/index.php