• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nutrition guidance for Inflammable Bowel Disease

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Perhaps we can share some nutrition guidelines that we follow or believe can be beneficial for all people, but perhaps more so for people with IBD.

Eating meat increases the intake of omega-6 fats, which are actually pro-inflammatory. Omega-3 fats though, which come from fish (cold-watered fish more so), or can be taken in capsule form are anit-inflammatory, so attempt to eat more fish than meat.

Excess intake of sugar, caffiene and salt should be avoided, as they all can remove the good minerals and vitamins you want to absorb. Drink a lot of fluids without any (added) sugar or caffiene, and aim for at least 2 litres a day.

Fibre is necessary and essential, but it does not have to be insoluble. Insoluble fibre is what usually causes discomfort for people with IBD and includes skins and peels of fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. It is found in bran, whole wheat, all nuts and seeds, corn, peas among many other foods. Try to eat soluble fibre like oatmeal, oat bran, peeled fruits and vegetables (if you can tolerate them that is). A supplement like Metamucil provides you with psyllium fibre, which is also good.

The K-factor: This is in regards to sodium (salt) intake. A lot of people have been told to decrease their salt intake for a number of reasons, including to lower blood pressure. But in truth this only solves half the problem. Potassium levels also need to be increseased. The K factor is the ratio if potassium ingested to sodium ingested. A good ratio to aim for is somwhere above 3 (4 or 5 or even higher is better). This means every mg of sodium is offset with at least 3 mg of potassium. A lot of foods that come in low sodium varietys can be a wiser choice, and making the change makes the food change from a high sodium source to a good K factor source (assuming it has a good amount of potassium). Fresh (not canned) fruits and vegetables are usually always a safe K-factor food source

Supplements: speak with you doctor about a good multi-vitamin that would be beneficial for you to take. Some are not good for people with IBD, as there coating can be harmful to your intestines. A liquide multi-vitamin may be better. Also see about supplementing any other items in your diet. A blood test can indicate any deficiencies, and some may alter your current feeling (anemia can likely make you quite tired).

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Gosh, I am the exception to the rule . . . I cannot eat fruits or veges or high fiber without dire results. I can only eat meats and carbs. I find it frustrating that I can eat ice cream but not an apple, or a huge steak but not a salad. Doc says it's because I can't digest the vege material enough to get it through the narrowings. Sodium, though, still really affects me, more than it used to. Oh, and the part you all will envy -- while I envy you -- I need to lose weight! Odd, eh? I lost 22 pounds when I went for 8 weeks not eating solids (most of which came back). After that, I could probably stand to lose about 50 pounds. I'm just not the textbook case all the way around (thinking of my other posts including what entocort does to me). Huh. But your post, Mike is really informative. Thanks for posting it.

Hey Mike you did a great job with that post. I just want to add that to get the best result from anything is to eat all of this in moderation. Like where I live the fish has to much mercury in them so the max you can eat fish is twice a week. Also if you eat to much meat then you are likely to become constipated especially if you normally get C while flaring.

For supplement if you count probiotics then I would always ask your GI about taking them as they will only aid on your intestines to get order again

On the subjects of meats if you have active inflamation stay away from greasy and/or spicy meat products... Also you will want to stay away from processed beef (That means big macs, whopppers).... Eat lean cuts of meat and make sure you chew your food very very very well... Also another suggestion is to make your own sandwhich of what foods you can and can not eat.... You can leave the bread unbaked, toast it, or grill it.... Just don't fry it LOL... Then put on as much thinly sliced lunch meat as you feel you can totalrate with as many slices or pieces of slices of cheese that you feel you can tolorate... Thus you have a high protein meal that should not tear your insides up.... As far as meat goes if you can go to a butcher go to a butcher and get freshly sliced meat.... But if your like 99% of us that don't have that option then pick up the thinnest cut one that you like of deli meat... Me I like the Hillshire farms deli select cuts of meat.... They have a bunch of diffferent flavors... Their easy to find to because thier the ones in the little gladware boxes with the sealed plastic meat in the sealed box... Just watch out for what flavor you want .... It is very easy to get the wrong flavor of ham or turkey... And since they come in little tuperware boxes make sure you double check them again before you put them in the buggy or you may not have even gotten the right kind of meat or flavor LOL...

I can eat a large steak sub even if I have inflmation that comes from the local deli so long as I only eat 1/4 of it at a time.... It has tons of bread a decent bit of cheese and just thin strips of meat... No it doesn't come like that normally but that's the way I get them to make it for me and I have no problems with it... (FireHouse Subs dunno if they have a chain whereever you live at).

Key supplements
Omega 3 Fatty Acids (DHA and EPA). Take your EPA/DHA about 2-3 times a day and you should be good on your good omega 3 fatty acids...
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

Calcium you want 1000-1200mg

Vitamen D Also called (D2 ergocalciferol or calciferol) 400-800 IU

Magnesiuem (I just know I take in enough of this I don't know the amount)

Vitamen K 1 pill

You may also want to look at getting some digestive enzymes too...
That is normal for women that are menapausal... Well I'm a 22 year old guy... Yes but you have been on prednsonse and other things that leech this calcium out of your bones.. Ohhhh I see now... Thank you....

Vitamen K gets over looked a lot... It is neeed by the body in order to stop blood clots... It is gnerally found in green leafy vegtables and other thigns crohn's patients can't eat.. So if you get nose bleeds a lot or if you bleed to long then you need to start taking some Vitamen K....

Calcium (I would always take this as Calcium Citrate also called Calcium Citrate Malate) DO NOT BUY CALCIUM CARBONATE!!! First it lowers stomach acid which hinders your bodies ability to digest food and you always take calcium with food so it can be absorbded... Plus it doesn't break down or absorb very well either.... It might even cause blockage depending on the amount your taking...

Also make sure you are taking extra Vitaman D2 (ergocalciferol or calciferol) along with your calcium... These are the food based verision of vitamen D so you won't OD on them.... They must be processed by the liver anyway before they can do anything... Btw all your corticosteriods are processed thier too... Thats one of the reasons crohn's patients get bone loss so easily...

Guess where you get these from... fish! So just go out and buy some fish oil pills. Make sure your buying your fish oil pills from a quility supplier though or else they may contain trace elements of mercury in them... Also they should list the contents of each of those fatty acids on the back... If you go and buy a product called Omega 3 or something similar to that then I guarntee you you will be paying 3-4 times more money for the same thing the other guy just bought...

Now if you hate the fish after taste of fish pills you have a few options.

1) Put the bottle in the freezer and swallow them frozen.... By the time they reach your insestines they will be thawed and ready for absoorbtion
2) Buy flavored fish oil pills
3) Or do what I do and buy fish oil without the fish... I buy a DHA EPA mixtuture... Bassicly they take the fatty acids out of the fish oil and put it in a soft gel... Still you might get a reaction to it if you are allergic to fish...