• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here, not New to Crohn's: Humira vs. Remicade

Hi all,

I am 23 and have been battling with Crohn's for the last 7 years. I am a second year medical student and am finding dealing with the symptoms and pain a pain in the ass when trying to study what feels like 24/7.

I feel like I must have tried every drug out there. 3 years ago I had to have an emergency bowel resection, which wasn't ideal because they couldn't even take out the main diseased bowel, nor the fistula which continues to cause many of my symptoms.

I have been on 6MP forever but as my disease has gotten worse my doctor told me I needed to start on a biologic. So trying to avoid Remicade and its infusions (which I feel like will be impossible to fit into my schedule), I tried Humira. Unfortunately after 3 months I had very little improvement with my inflammatory levels still sky high.

So I stopped Humira and now my doctor wants me to start Remicade. I think I am finally broken down enough to give it a shot if it will help me start feeling better. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had Humira not work for them and Remicade work? I don't really understand why one would work and one not if they are both TNF alpha blockers. I guess I can only hope.

Please reply if you have any insight

:welcome: BB!! Ahhh, I remember 2nd year med school pretty well - my husband and I started dating when he was in 2nd year. I'd try and get this beast quiet before your rotations start if possible!! (fingers crossed!!!)

Well, I am not going to be much help I'm afraid. I have been on Remicade for over 6 years now and it has done very well for me so far. I'm battling an annoying skin rash they think Remi may be causing, but other than that- I have had nothing bad from it. The infusions are a bit of a pain - but only take between 3-4 hours if you get them in an efficient place. I have never tried Humira, so I can't give advice there. I'm trying to think of anyone who has gone in that order.....if there are some people here - hopefully they will respond. You can also look at the Humira club thread and see if anyone mentions being on Remi first there. Here is the link:

http://crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6500&highlight=humira+club

Good luck with it - and with med school. That is a bit of a juggling act :O)

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: First of all hello......

Your short little story sounds somewhat similar...I was on Imuran and started a course of Humira, but never really noticed improvement...(unfortuneately). While hospitalized for the 2nd time I was started on Remicade, I received 2 doses before I finally had the resection done. My ileum was just too far gone to respond to any treatment...I hope that isn't the case for you. I am on Remicade at present and absolutely love it!.....I really hope you will be able to fit it into your schedule. I think you will be better off starting school healthy and having to miss a few things due to the medication versus being so ill that you can't attend at all.....So, do you now what type of medicine you want to practice??

Peaches, you are spot on, I really need to get this under control before rotations start, that is why I am finally giving in to Remicade. It will be very hard to perform well if it is not under control.

Popcorn, not quite sure yet what I want to go into. Possibly gastroenterology, but if also trying to keep my mind open and see how rotations go to see what I like.