• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

3 years and 18 doctors later

H

healthycookie

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after going from doctor to doctor for 3 years. I feel what saved me was that I was doing my own research. I modified my diet immediately to avoid the symptoms and as a result, my progression was extremely gradual. I never became that sick (knock wood). My doctor here says there is nothing he can do until it gets worse and he can put me on meds- no way to make it better. So I am off to LA for 3 months of treatment in Chinese Medicine. I am documenting what I hope to be my journey to wellness on my blog. Please be free to check it out and comment as you wish. We need to raise our voices. This epidemic is being ignored and it is bad! And getting worse.
Check me out at www.healthycookie.wordpress.com

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Meghan.

To think that in a way your research and positive results were actually making it harder for the doctors to diagnose you! I am glad you were able to control symptoms, and hope that the period of not knowing exactly what you had was not too stressful on you.

J

Jonny

Hi Meghan welcome to the forums all the best with your chinese medicine treatment

Aloha Meghan and welcome to the forums. I'll be interested in seeing your report after the alternative treatment you've decided on!

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL

I pray that you have a good time ... meet lots of folks & have a great time here with us. I am GRANDMA BEAR aka KAREN. The group here let me in due to the fact that my husband is the one with CROHN'S & the support here is wonderful so have a great time !!​

Kev

Hi Meghan... Welcome to the forum.. Hope that the Chinese Medicine works for you... It sounds like you've run the gamut of going doctor to doctor, but perhaps if a 2nd GI looked at you... he/she might take a more immediate and pro-active approach... If not via medication, then diet, exercise, and general counselling.

Just a thought... And I'm not saying that the Chinese Medicine isn't worth pursuing... Just that you might get the 'best' results if you approach your illness in tandem with traditional medical methods... All you need is the right GI doctor...
(been there, done that.. went thru so many GI's I could write a book about it)

L

leah131

Hi Meghan,
Are you saying that you saw 18 doctors? and got crohns 3 years later? Take Care
Leah

H

healthycookie

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the advice. I have been managing it al with diet and excercise for the last 3 years. Probabaly part of why I couldn't be diagnosed (most of the time I was symptom free). Medicine can't do much for people who are generally healthy. I mean, there are no medicines to keep people healthy- only help them once they are sick. The doctor I am seeing now, is keeping me well and I feel better than I have in years. I am documenting the details here: www.healthycookie.wordpress.com. You might find some of my posts interesting- if not a little controversial.
All the best

H

healthycookie

That is exactly what I am saying. My research seems to point to the vaccinations I had prior to travel in Africa that triggered my Crohn's. I have always believed in the bodies ability to heal itself if given what it needs (whole food, excercise, rest etc). Crohn's obviously won't go away on its own, but my diet and lifestyle slowed the progression that it took 3 years for doctors to be able to determine what it was. Limitations of medicine I guess. I have said this before- but western medicine can help make sick people well, but can't offer much for people who are generally healthy. My tests were always normal, my nutrient levels were good- but I knew that something was wrong and just kept pursuing it until at last I was taken seriously and the more invasive tests were done.

H

healthycookie

I know. It is crazy that unless you are near death- the doctors won't take a case seriously. I have been in LA for nearly 2 weeks now getting acupuncture and I can't remember the last time I felt so good- so full of energy, sleeping so well and all around in a better mood- though I am sure the sunshine doesn't hurt either.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Hi there Meghan, nice to have another Cookey around. I've heard of that Chinese method, I certainly hope it works out well for you. Nice to have you here, keep in touch.

Biggest Hugs...Cookey. (Deb)