• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First UC, now new diagnosis - Crohn's

ameslouise

I have a long story, like most people on here, so I will try to keep it as short and interesting as possible!

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 1995. I managed this fairly effectivey with sulfasalazine, and steriod enemas to control flare ups. These flare ups came about once a year. They always coincided with my attempts to quit smoking. I understand it is fairly common for folks to get their first flare up from UC after quitting smoking or a similar "trauma" on the body, like having a baby.

I had a major UC flare in 2001 after the birth of my son. We could not get it under control and I ended up in the hospital for a month - IV steroids, cyclosprorene, nothing was helping. My last colonoscopy suspected I may have Crohn's, not UC, so we started Remicade and I was released from hospital.

My colon perforated 3 weeks later. The working diagosis was still UC, so my colon was removed and I was given an ileostomy. I had a j-pouch formed a year later, and my final ileostomy take-down 3 months after that.

Life was great for 7 years! No colon, so I was disease free! Woo hoo!

Good for me that I quit smoking FOR GOOD in May 2007, but a year later, I started having issues.... urgency, frequency, accidents.

A j-pouch scope revealed severe inflammation - CD was again discussed as a possibility, but my doc decided it was more likely pouchitis. We treated FOR A YEAR on and off with heavy antibiotics. Another scope in June 2009 determined that it was CD for sure.

I can't tell you the disappointment and utterly crushing feeling of being diagnosed with a chronic disease after thinking since 2001 that I was DONE with diseases. I still have difficulty wrapping my head around it and part of me refuses to believe I actually have Crohn's Disease. It's still hard for me to make the words come out of my mouth.

I opted for Remicade, but had a bad reaction after 1 treatment. My doc and I went back and forth about what to try - Imuran, Methrowhatever, Humira, etc. He really wanted me to go with Humira. But my gut feeling was that this was not the drug for me. I read lots and the success rate didn't seem as high as I would like. And the side effets, while rare, were too scary for me (Lymphoma? No thanks.) Understand that I get EVERY side effect of any drug I ever take. I had a reaction to cyclosporene that my doc had only seen once in 30 years!

Fate, kismet, karma - whatever you call it - led me to consult a doctor that practices Functional Medicine. "Treat the patient - not the disease." I opted for his suggested course of treatment - drastic diet change, heavy course of pro- and prebiotics, vitamins, supplements, nutrient infusions, wheat grass juice every day!

I feel better than I have in 2 years. I am still tapering down off the prednisone (boy, does that take a long time!) and am currently at 20 mg (started at 40 mg 6 months ago). My "traditional" doc thinks I am off my rocker, but the proof is in the numbers. My c-reactive protein is almost down to normal. I feel great. I look great.

The lifestyle changes have been very difficult and the treatments very expensive. Of course, they are not covered. The Humira costs $15,000 a year on average, with a monthly co-pay for the patient of about $20. I only wish I could have even a fraction of the money the insurance company is willing to spend on that drug to put toward my alternative course of treatment!

I still struggle with the diagnosis. It has been very consuming for me and I look forward to a time when I can wake up and not think about it, even for one day. But for now, I press on. I am thankful to have a very supportive husband, without whom I don't think I could get thru this, parents, in-laws, employer, etc. Being "sick" has shown me just how lucky I am.

The dietary changes (mostly vegan except egg whites and small fish) have been challenging but forced me to be really creative. I spend most of my free time in the kitchen (and thankfully NOT in the bathroom!).

So this was not as short as I would have liked, and even if no one reads it, I feel better getting it all out there in words.

I am thankful to have found this site as reading about other's experiences has been really helpful. Thanks for listening!

- Amy

Hopefully other people will see your experience and get some motivation to make any necessary lifestyle changes as well.

:welcome: Amy! What an emotional rollercoaster! I would be upset too - but what can one do in this situation? Exactly what you are doing - just keep on keeping on and take care of yourself the best way you know how! I *really* hope the alternative method keeps working for you once you start tapering off the prednisone - that is a mightly loooong taper. Mine are usually no longer than 4 months in total. Please keep us posted - many on here are interested in alternative methods to the drugs we have to take, and we don't have very many that post up and let us know that it is working and what they are doing to keep it working. Good luck and welcome!

Nyx

Welcome! I'm glad to see that the alternative methods are working for you :) I hope they keep working after you're done with the prednisone too. Good luck!

Cindy

ameslouise

Hi all and thank you for the warm welcome and words of encouragment!

Peaches - I guess my taper has really been since the end of October - when I started the alternative meds. For the first few months I was on the pred I held at 40 mg b/c I kept going back and forth with my Penn doc about what meds to try before I decided on the alternative course. It was really encouraging to read other's experieces with prednisone and how tricky the taper can be. My last step from 20 to 15 was too big and I had some withdrawal symptoms and recurrence of symptoms - I now see this is not uncommon and that made me feel so much better that sometimes it takes a while to get the taper right.

Sue - I would be curious to hear your story about your j-pouch and CD diagnosis. I am taking Ultraflora IB, Bifoviden and Florastor. I also take 3 powder mixes for restoring GI lining and to help with the heartburn from the Prednisone (anyone else have that experience?!?), and a ton of vitamins, nutrients and enzymes.

I am convinced the wheat grass is helping too, though it tastes horrible! I still gag on it every day.

I am praying the alternative meds work. At the very least, I am eating really well and taking very good care of myself. I know the traditional meds will always be there if I need to fall back on them...

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Welcome Amy.....I am so glad you are having positive results. Good luck with the rest of your Prednisone taper.

"Sue - I would be curious to hear your story about your j-pouch and CD diagnosis. I am taking Ultraflora IB, Bifoviden and Florastor. I also take 3 powder mixes for restoring GI lining and to help with the heartburn from the Prednisone (anyone else have that experience?!?), and a ton of vitamins, nutrients and enzymes."

Well, I pmd you my story. Not much different than yours. I'm disappointed too in the diagnosis. Especially when my gi said matter of factly. If the meds don't work--out with that pouch! Easy for her to say. Not that life is over with an ostomy, but-I truly believed that it was over when I had my colon removed! :( I read about some University doing a study of prebiotics. So I pmd you to see if you could tell me what exactly your taking. So, how long have you been on Prednisone? They weened me off after about two months. Now, I am back on--I don't think the Pentassa is doing squat. Sue

Welcome Amy. I can't even imagine how you felt after you thought you won that battle, but it is truly inspirational how you turned things around and still manage to have positive attitude about this. I don't have Crohn's myself, but lurking this forum to find info to help my husband. You can read about his disease in 'Our story' on this forum.

I am really interested in details about the alternatives you're doing. Can you either post here or send me a message with more info? Thanks in advance.

Astra

Hi Amy
Your story was truly inspirational! Your courage and determination is admirable, and I feel absolutely disgusted with myself when I moan about my CD which is absolutely nowhere near as bad as yours, Sues, Cindys, Peaches, Misspopcorn and Pennys, not to forget all you boys out there too!
From now on, I'm on a mission, to stop wallowing, stop eating, stop smoking, get better, and bloody well get back to work!
I'm tapering off now, so feel a bit emotional and mental
Lotsa luv
xx

ameslouise

Sue, I PMed you this info, but since Hana asked too, I will share it here as well.

Here's what I am taking:

Prednisone - 20 mg
Prilosec - for the heartburn from the prednisone
Calcium/Magnesium
Omega 3 fish oil
B complex & folic acid supplement
Vitamin D
CoQ10 enzyme
Ultraflora IB
Bifoviden ID
Florastor
Something for liver detox (can't remember name)

Powder mixes - UltrainflamX (antiinflammatory), Endefen (rebuilds GI lining), Glutagenics (helps with heartburn). These are all made by Metragenics company, as is the Bifoviden and Ultraflora tabs.

I get two infusions - 1 every other week. One is a massive B complex mixture, the other is antioxidants.

Also the wheatgrass - 2 oz fresh juiced daily (blech!). I am convinced this is helping the most of everything I am doing.

I already mentioned the mostly vegan diet, but I also cut out most all processed food. I generally don't eat anything wth more than 4 ingredients listed on the label.

It is very empowering to take control over what I eat, knowing that every decision can either negatively or positively affect my health with every bite! Can you believe my GI doctor at Penn told me that "food has nothing to do with Crohn's disease." WHAT???

This couse of treatment takes a lot of discipline and a lot of $$ but I am not giving up now! A positive attitude is my best medicine.

Astra - undertake that mission! You can do it! Especially the quitting smoking - #1 thing you can do for yourself! (It's easier than giving up coffee - trust me!)

Thanks for all the words of encouragment! - Amy

Thank you so much, Amy. I will be interested to read more about your story as you taper off Prednisone. Please keep us updated. So good to hear that something other than drugs worked for you.

ameslouise

butt-eze said:
Hi Amy :)

I'm sorry to hear about all that you've been through. We share only a small similarity-I was originally diagnosed with UC in 2005 and rediagnosed with Crohn's in 2007.

I have a friend who has been through hell. Similar to your story. You can read more about it from her blog http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...gspot.com/&h=3bb08e6e24651cb44d1589bcdd3d9c88

You are not alone. I hope you get a lot out of this forum.

Amy
Thanks for the link to your friend's blog. It's so helfpul to read others' stories and know I am not alone. It really makes me feel more normal!

I have already gotten a lot out of this forum, including many giggles at the user names!

-Amy

ameslouise

PS I saw my FP (Functional Practioner) today and we decided on a 1 mg./wk pred taper. At this rate, I'll be coming off right around the time my 8 year old starts high school! :)

Yeay for you Amy! I'm glad something is working. I too had a j-pouch for 6 1/2 years and other than adjusting my diet and knowing where the bathrooms were I felt great! Since I'd had UC for 23 years and now my colon was removed my doctors told me I was CURED!!! I was so excited! But I began getting blockages in 12/08 and they progressively got more frequent and worse. They weren't due to CD but scar tissue on my small intestine from my j-pouch surgery years earlier. So I'm familiar with thinking it's over and then finding out it's not. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I also got heartburn from the prednisone. Really bad heartburn. And my tapering was super slow. If I tried, or the doctor tried, to rush it I always got return symptoms and bad flare-ups. Acupuncture seemed to help. I don't know if it was because it addressed my symptoms from a physical standpoint or if it made me feel more at peace or a combo of the two. It didn't matter because I'll take anything if it's going to be beneficial. Regarding you drinking the yucky wheat grass juice, here's what I do (my technique after drinking colite/ golightly a million times for the million colonoscopies I've undergone); have a glass of apple juice ready before you start on the wheat grass juice. Take a sip of the apple juice. The pinch your nostrils so you don't smell anything and drink as much of the wheat grass juice as you can before you need to take a breath. Before you breath take a big sip of the apple juice. Then unplug your nose. Repeat this process until the wheat grass juice is gone. Since our tongues can really only taste sweet, sour bitter, salty and savory you really can't taste the wheatgrass juice. It's your sense of smell that is shaping what you actually taste. So if you drink the apple juice to cover up the wheatgrass juice it might be helpful. I used to have to drink 4 liters of colite at once so this really helped me. (If you've never had colite it taste like tepid sea water with rubbing alcohol. And sometimes they add pineapple or cherry flavoring to it. It was just dreadful.) Hopefully this will help a bit. Sharon

ameslouise

Hi Sharon!

Interesting about the accupunture - I was thinking about trying that too.

For the wheat grass - I actually pour a little apple or grape juice right in with it and it really cuts the taste. But you are right, the smell is the killer. My son HATES it because it stinks up the whole house!

Sometimes I throw some grapes thru the juicer with it and that also helps cut the taste. The wheat grass does go straight thru me though and sometimes upsets my stomach so I don't take it every day.

Hope you are adjusting okay to your new life with bag! I am determined to beat this thing but good to know I will be in good company if I end up with a bag!

- Amy

Kev

Hi Amy, and welcome. Both UC and CD... me too. I believe there is at least one other member with that combo. I think this particular combo accounts for about 2% of those suffering with IBD. I was very fortunate, I found a doctor who was able to figure out that I was one of those rare 2% before taking the colostomy route... and we were able to get it under control with LDN. It is very tempting to go that route if you are told that it is just UC, and that a colostomy will make it go away forever. Que sera, sera. Anyway, another thing you and I have in common is onset after quitting smoking... No one is willing to discuss this prior to quitting (If I could roll back the clock, well... my life would certainly have been different. I'm not advocating smoking, but I think it's a valid point that people should be fore-warned there is a connection, and a definite risk).

Anyway, welcome to the Forum. I hope your regimen works for you. I also am into probiotics, prebiotics, a strict diet, and of course, my beloved little LDN pill.

ameslouise

Hi Kev - I am glad to hear that the LDN is working ofr you. I am going to discuss this with my doc on my next consult.

I find the smoking/quitting smoking connection really interesting. I wonder if things would have ben different had I weaned off ciggies and not quit cold turkey. I have an aunt and a cousin who both developed UC afer quitting. I have read about UC treatments using nicotine patches but don't know how successful those are.

I made my 8 year old promise me to never start smoking!

- Amy

Hi Amy, good to hear that you are doing alternative treatment and that it is working for you. As you know im also trying alternative meds/treatment as well so it would be great to bounce ideas.
I didnt know your story obviously before I read this, but you no doubtably have one to tell. I hope it all works out well for you and that you make keep it all under control as you have been :)

Fou

ameslouise

Here is my update, and I sure could use some moral support.

I have now been on my "alternative" treatment plan for 6 months. I've only been able to taper to 15 mg pred (been on it for 9 months now) and every time I step down by 1 mg all hell breaks loose.

I have finally had an epiphany that my body needs chemical assistance to put it into remission.

I feel really defeated as I so badly wanted the non-chemical way to work for me. But the truth is that it's not working, and I need help. I want to keep my j-pouch, I want to prevent any further scarring in my intestinal tract, I want to get off pred before I do permanent damage to my bones.

I am super depressed right now. I know everything is going to be fine once I find the right treatment for me. I'm just frustrated that I have spent so much time and money on this treatment and I hope I haven't done too much damage to myself by letting it go so long. I woud declare any treatment a non-success after 6 months and still steroid dependent.

I'm scared to try the Humira, but it's been sitting in my fridge for 6 months just patiently wait for me to give it a try...

Thanks for listening. - Amy

Astra

Hi Amy

Aw lovie, sorry you're feeling so depressed, back to the drawing board, hey?
I'm gonna go with Humira, I really believe that the benefits far outweigh the despair and agony of Crohns. I've managed to taper the Pred to zero, so this week will be a test to see if I'm in remission!
I don't think you've wasted your time on alternantive treatments, they worked for 6 months, yeah? so some good came from them, but this unpredictable bitch Crohns just keeps rearing her ugly head! Keep on with the diet and supps, they're doing you good, but some medical intervention is what you need now to stop a flare up, have you tried Imuran and Mercaptupurine? They have some successes with UC.
Don't mean to piss on your parade, i'm truly sorry, but my gastro said the same thing to me about food having nowt to do with Crohns! He said to always remember that its an auto immune disease, it attacks our good stuff, we cant fight it without meds, no matter what we eat. Inflammation will come whether or not, eating the right diet only helps with the digestive system helping to combat diarrhea. as in Low residue diet etc. Thats his opinion.
Hope you get some peace Amy, thinking of you hun
take care, try and chillax
Joan xxx

Edit, and Amy if you do go with Humira, check whether it's ok after 6 months in the fridge, don't know whether it goes off? like LDN.

Last edited:
Hi Amy,
I think everyone must have these hopes about getting along without medicines. It feels safer and it almost feels like you haven't really got the disease any more - or at least that you have it under your control. Taking meds makes me think that I'm dependent in some way. It's so disappointing when you've built your hopes up. I suppose I look at it like this: sometimes I'll need drugs and there may be periods when I don't. When you consider what damage chronic inflammation does longterm, taking medication is a much better option. I was talking to a friend yesterday who told me about his neighbour who had Crohn's all her life and died at 88. She took medication when she needed it. Then there's my Dad in his 60s who has just had a heart attack because chronic inflammation has wrecked his arteries. He didn't know there was inflammation until it was too late because he had no symptoms. This reminds me that if we don't know there's inflammation going on then it does its damage. With Crohn's your body won't let you ignore inflammation - it hurts! So we have the chance to get it under control.
I don't know whether anything I've said makes much sense but I can imagine how disappointed you must feel after you've worked your socks off to stick to the health plan for 6 months and it hasn't been enough. Here's lots of hugs to you....and we'll all be rooting with you for the Humira to get you off the Pred.
Love Gail
x

ameslouise

Thanks Joan and Gail for the kind words. And yes, Gail, you say a lot of things that make sense. The permanant damage from inflammation is what I need to think about. Then it won't matter what I eat if nothing can get thru!

Joan - you and I can be Humira buddies together! I check the exp on mine and it is good till 11/2010 so away we go!!!

But I will stick with the good diet and supplements anyway. No one ever died from NOT eating fast food, right? :)

ameslouise

Well, here I am again and I have been feeling GREAT for the past week. Down to 14 mg pred. All is quiet and calm (knock wood). Sleepig like a baby, no accidents, no "knife" for a week.

I scheduled a scope for May 11. I think I will feel alot better after seeing what's going on in there - especially now that I know CRP doesn't necessarily give a good indication of what's happening inside.

Then after the scope I can make a decision with my doc on what to do vis a vis meds. I hope I can avoid the Humira and maybe use sometihng less scary...

Thanks for listening as always - Amy

Astra

Hi Amy

so glad you're feeling ok! got everything crossed for all quiet on the western front!
Like you, I'm hoping to keep Humira as a last resort and hope to keep on the mild stuff for now.
good luck with the scope
love as always
Joan xx