• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update..biopsies show mild inflammation

update..biopsies show mild inflammation

Hi all

Ive had a letter to say the biopsies the consultant took during my colonoscopy showed mild inflammation. He could only get to the sigmoid (first turn) so i would imagine the biopsies were taken from here and below.

What does this mean? can you have mild inflammation and it not be an IBD?

Im currently awaiting my scan results and follow up appointment. Symptoms are really coming and going. I had 3 or 4 days of feeling really sick and in pain and ive now had 2 days with extreme tiredness but not much pain. Its all so strange.

Hope everyone is doing well.

love

clover

farm

Captain Insaneo
I think you CAN have inflammation without having and IBD, but what you described before and now leads me to think you do have an IBD.
Hopefully they will name it for you soon so you can get some treatment and relief.

Like Farm says...

So often colonoscopies can be inconclusive or show nothing...I spose due to the nature of crohn's and skip lesions... sounds bizarre but I am always secretly pleased when something shows up - it backs up my symptoms and gives the docs something to work on.... If they can't see the cause of the problem they can't treat it, so I would take this as great news...

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome

Lishyloo x

Yep - I think bacterial infections or parasite infections can cause inflammation as well that isn't IBD related. They are typically looking for very specific markers with the biopsies to indicate Crohn's.

Hang in there Clover....

Thanks for replying guys.
As usual I can always rely on you for advice when im confused!!

I guess its just a waiting game now...and i suppose the inflammation does show that there is something going on and im not going mad!!

ill keep you all updated

Ps Lishy are you feeling better? I hope so.

Clover xxx

Hi clover...

I actually had 2 colonoscopies come clean, and biopsies show mild inflammation. Sorry to tell you, docs told me it´s inconclusive. Inflammation could be from parasites (well, I´m tested clear for all of them twice a year), it could be food allergies that won´t show in regular tests, and it could be IBD. Also, microscopic inflammation (when you have to take a biopsy to see) seems to be present in healthy people too. Like Peaches said, they´d have to find some specific pattern/markers to say it´s IBD.

Lishy... I also secretly feel happy when they find something to work on.

Hope you get your answers soon and feel better!