• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

I'm not really sure how to go about this, but I'll give it shot. I found this site and made one post a couple months ago before I really knew what was going on, but I'm going to start again:

I'm a 20 year old college student from Indiana. I began to have diarrhea back in August of 2009. It was just diarrhea for awhile, then I began to have pains in my ab area. At first I let it go hoping it would just go away. Eventually I realized there might be a problem. After looking some things up online, I figured I better do something about it.

I went to see a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he had me give a stool sample. While I was waiting for the results he prescribed me Bentyl which did nothing to help. A couple weeks later he left me a voicemail saying everything came back negative (which I now know is expected). His tone of voice seemed to say there was nothing else he could do for me. This more or less just annoyed me so I didn't go back. I put off going to another doctor while telling myself I was just "too busy" with work and school, when in reality I was just scared of what it could be.

I finally worked up the courage to call a gastroenterologist. Unfortunately the closest one that was accepting patients and didn't have bad reviews online was over an hour away, which is making it tough (but well worth it). The nearest appointment was over a month away, but by this point I was well used to my symptoms so it really wasn't a big deal. I went in on February 8th and after talking with me he set me up for a colonoscopy at the hospital (big shock, right?). This was yesterday, February 18th.

I was still out of it from the sedation so I can't remember everything the doctor told me about it, but he said it was most likely ulcerative colitis. He prescribed me Lialda for now, and I am supposed to go back in to see him in 1-2 months for a follow up to see how everything is going and to discuss it more.

Well anyway, here I am!

Hi Josh Welcome, I hope Lialda works for you.
The clinic I go to sends a follow up letter of the results.
If you don't get one, Maybe ask for one if you want it?
Good luck, I wish You well!

Hi Josh. I am sorry that you have to go through this. I hope you can get definate answers to your pain and that everything works out for you.

Let us know what you hear from your Dr.

Astra

Welcome Josh!
Hope you feel better soon, and you'll have lots of support on here!
and hope your meds kick in soon xx

Thanks for the support everyone. It's nice to know how many others there are out there and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome Josh! i'm sorry to hear about your struggles, but am glad for you that you have an answer, and are able to start treatment. I truly hope it starts to work for you soon! :)