• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MRI Scan was normal.. consultant says food intolerence

Hi guys,

After speaking to my GP today he called my consultant's secretary and apparently my MRI scan was normal. She said it showed both my small and large bowel but the radiologist at the time said it was only of my small bowel so i have to admit im slightly confused.

Apperently severe food intolerences can make your intestines swell and narrow which would exlplain my two incomplete colonoscopies and the inflammation shown on the biopisies and the bleeding. Food intolerences can mimic IBD symptoms apparently, does anyone know if this is true?

So i have to see the dietician to try and get to the bottom of what it is. Also you are supposed to crave what your allergic too and i do crave sweet junk food things a lot so im going to cut out sweet naughty things and eat fruit/veg a lot more and see what happens.

I guess if this is the answer to my problems thats great :) I am skeptical though as some things dont add up. Like how can i go months with no symptoms and then all of a sudden they flare up when i dont really change my diet? and i was symptom free when my first colonoscopy got stuck?

Guys i think i need your advice again................

Also the pain in my left side where the kink/inflammation is, is like a stitch now.

Clover xx

Hi Clover :)
I admit that sounds strange to me too, that your symptoms would change so much if your diet remains the same.
I suppose if your colonoscopys were unable to be completed than it might be hard to get another diagnosis.
I think it is hard to tell the difference between IBD and IBS as the symptoms are very similar, was there any correlation with stress and your flares?
I dont know what to suggest rly.. Maybe go along with the diet thing and see what happens or get a second opinion. Or go and see you consultant yourself so you can ask the questions.
x x x

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hi Clover

Sorry you are having all these unanswered questions...Something doesn't seem right to me....It seems like they would be recommending some sort of testing to find out exactly what you are intolerant to....Did they mention Celiacs disease at all?.....I guess you will have to rule out this intolerance theory in order to go forward....Can you get a second opinion?

Thanks for replying Hollie, Imisspopcorn and Erazer,

Im just so confused and fed up.

I have been referred to a dietician so im waiting to get an appointment for that. I always feel like im waiting for something.

I have been tested for Cealiacs and it was negative so it cant be that.

I know this sounds crazy but im tempted to eat tons of popcorn, a whole plate of sweet corn all in one go. At least that way if i have a huge flare they will do something about it and if i dont then maybe they are right and it is just a food intolerence which will be great.

They told me you can bleed and get inflammation with intolerences. i just dont know anymore :(

Clover x

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
You can bleed from viral infections and parasites. If you are extremely intolerant to something, I would imagine it can cause bleeding as well.....I would be frustrated too....

I forgot to mention this is already my third GI. The first one was lovely, he got stuck doing my first colonoscopy and said he didnt know what else to do so referred me another one who was a complete patronizing idiot and told me to go and exercise to improve my IBS and chronic fatigue. Exercise!!! I play rugby, ride horses, swim and run all competetivily. ok i cant do it so much anymore but thats not through want of trying :voodoo:

This GI was really nice and assured my mum he would help me, he said my bowel was a mystery but he would get to the bottom of it. Now i just dont know.. I guess i have to explore this theory before i can move on :(

xx

**HUGS**

This all sounds so strange to me. :( I wish there was something i could say or do....I hope things get sorted out soon.