• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question

question

My Mom does not have Crohns but had a bowel resection on last Monday Feb 22. I am concerned because she still has not had a bowel movement and has passed some gas but not much. The Dr has her taking Colace and Milk of Magnesia but so far it has not helped. She is bloated and uncomfortable.
Just wondering if anybody out there who has had the resection surgery had the same problems? Any advice?

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hi Ally.....I would call the surgeon's office and let them know what is going on....It seems a little long not to have a BM. Good Luck...I had a resection and was having BM's before I was discharged.

I would assume she is taking some sort of pain reliever, and if it is an opiate, it can cause constipation. I had some trouble with this, and it was not fun.

If she can do without opiate based pain meds, the problem should go away.

Dan

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi I too have had a resection 2 times and if your mom doesn have Crohn's why did she have a resection and why would they let her go home without one? Hope she gets help and soon.

Hi Ally,

I agree with IMP. You should give the surgeon a ring a get further instructions. Also, keep mom on lots of liquids and other soft foods. This should induce a movement soon.

Let us know how things go.