• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pill Cam

Hey guys hows it going I am doing a research thing on pill cams at school and I was wondering if anyone has used it before and how well it worked. It is just a small project for my anatomy class but since I am hoping to be in the medical field I am trying to go beyond what I need. So if you guys could help out that would be awesome.

Thanks guys

Jeff

S

Skinsfan1229

I've had one, back in may...told me it would take 5 to 7 days to pass...and 6 weeeks later i was in the hospital flaring, 95 pounds....they did a ct saw the pill capsule on the ct, took a scope and went into my stoma and dialated a part of my illileum that the camera had got caught in from inflammation. Therefore causing a porforation, which was noticed at the next hospital when they transferred me to a university hospital. , had to have emergency surgery and remove my stoma from my illiostomy and 11cm of terminal illieum.

On a good note, my GI had run after test known to man from jan to april....all coming back normal except the M2A study(pill camera), showing lacerations and ulcers from the beginning to the end, first time my crohnss had moved from the colon and rectum. Any advice about it just let me know, I'm only 21...I deal with it pretty well, and I think that shows a lot.

X

xrayzerase

i was wondering about this pill cam--i am going to ask my dr about it thursday.
any info you learn from your research i hope you share.

L

leah131

Hey Jeff,
I don't know when it's due but sorry I am late on this. I had the pill cam twice and it was okay. I had to have a prep to it and have to have clear liquids.
Leah

L

Lisa

MY son is 17 and just diagnosed with Crohn's, last week. He has been sick for 4 months....fever, diarrhea and vomiting. He just began medication. He has also had high liver level results. Has anyone else had that?? Lisa Illinois

S

Skinsfan1229

Thats pretty common lisa.

But at the same time, everyone is different. At first when I was diagnosed I ran really high fevers, up to 104.9 constantly, but ironically my flares havent gotten THAT much better or less frequent BUT my fevers are totally gone, no matter how bad I flare, even when having a hole in my intestine(porforated bowel), I still dont run fevers, its very odd, considering my inflammation levels come back at something like 11.4 and I think normal is under 1, and I'm "in remission" now.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
While the pill cam can get a good look at your insides, Chris went through one of the negative aspects of it. The camera can easily get stuck in inflammation or stictures, causing partial or full obstructions, that can lead to surgery.

L

Lisa

How long until a little improvement??!!

:eek:

Thank you. Caleb has just now began Entocort and Flagyl. The dr. wanted him on a rectal supp. for the proctitis, but one has been taken off the market and the 2nd choice is not available from our Pharmacy's supplier. Now I will have to call back to the dr., again. He mentioned putting Caleb on an oral medication for the Proctitis. Caleb was not to thrilled with that idea!:ymad:
Today he had blood drawn for a 2nd Promethus test, to see if he could take MP-6, and if it would help him. I have never heard of any of these drugs, so far! That is scary about the pill-cam! That (and the liver biopsey) are about the only tests left that he may still need, in the next few months. The barium x-rays showed a severe narrowing in his small intestine and the Gastro. doc felt that is where the worst area is and probably why he continues to run a 100-101 fever, all of the time.We are now home schooling....it is a good thing. It is terrible for him (and everyone) when the diarrhea hits, vomiting, etc. Sometimes he throws up and really didn't feel that bad, right before. Do most of you know when a "flare" is on it's way?? This Sat. will be 4 months since Caleb had become ill, almost all of the time, but has always had stomach problems. Thaks for listening...I am a concerned Mom!!!:tongue: Lisa

Last edited:

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Lisa!

Some people get to learn when flairs are coming on and others are not as good at telling. Some people may have symptoms a day or two before a flair, like joint pain or other symptoms. This is not the norm (at least not for me) though so do not get angry that your son is not sure what is going on with him and his body.

Food is often what triggers a flair up, in the sense that things start getting bad after eating a meal. It is best to start very carefully noting what is being eaten for meals, and also how Caleb is feeling after eating (or what symptoms he has). It is best if he is motivated enough to do this on his own, and you should try and encourage him to take control or an active role in his condition as early as possible. This will make him feel more important and the responsibility of managing his disease will likely ensure he does a better job eating better foods, taking medications and avoiding other triggers for flairs (like stress).

Some foods that are common triggers to cause flair symptoms/bloating/cramping/vomiting. Please note that this is different for everyone though, so do not take this as a list that must be followed.

Common trigger foods: nuts, seeds, whole grain/wheat breads, skins and peels of vegetables and fruits (and for some the acutally fruits themselves), peas, corn, meats (like beef and pork), and milk (especially in larger quantities), but this is not so for everyone. Lighter meats like chicken and fish are usually better tolerated and cause less cramping).

Some safer foods (these foods can usually be taken as a flair calms down): apple sauce, bananas (the riper the better... so let it get nice and black!), soup (just broths like chicken soup), applesauce, rice (white), mashed potato, steamed (and mashed) vegetables (no seeds or skins though) plain crackers and jello. Plenty of fluids should be taken after vomit or diarrhea occurs, as these both cause dehydration. Sports drinks like gatorade, fruit juice, water (but it is best to have drinks with sugars and electrolytes) and tea are all fine.

So for now what I think the best advice you can take is:

-Start keeping a food diary (updat the list with what is eaten throughout the day and how Caleb felt afterward, and all symptoms felt) to help find what foods cause symptoms.
-Learn! This forum has a lot of good information, and there are books at your local library you can likely find also. Feel free to ask any specific questions here though and we will do our best to help you
-Be aware of what is going on in life. Stress, lack of sleep, certain eating habits and other factors can all negatively affect Caleb and worsen symptoms. Ensure he is drinking (especially after vomit/diarrhea sessions) and not becoming mal nourished. This is not always easy when you are flairing, so it is important to try and be aware of changes in weight and energy, as these can be signs that Caleb is not getting enough calories or nutrition. This (if occurs) should be mentioned to the doctor and monitored. Another option is liquid nutrition through nutritional shakes like ensure and boost. They are lactose free, and contain quite a few calories, fat and protein per can (including plenty of vitamins and minerals). Many people (including myself) have gone periods of time on these only, and taking 5-6 or even more a day can provide adequate nutrition and calories. You can even get them in plus calorie form. Just make sure that they are always taken very slowly with small sips. Each can should be consumer over 15-30 minute period to ensure that bloating does not occur. Caleb should try and chew all foods slowly, eat smaller meals more frequently and keep his food diary up to date after each meal. You may also want to consider other factors that may be affecting him, like stress. Stress can negatively affect the disease, so try and relieve him of any stress or anxiety. It may help for him to come here and ask any questions or give his fears or worries so that he can see how othersTHRIVE with this disease.

Please ask anything you need to and I hope this helps.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
ARG! I forgot the most important thing needed to combat this disease...

A sense of humour and a laid back approach to dealing with the disease!

You can approach this disease with frustration and stress or take things as they come and try and be positive and smile throughout. I promise you the second way is more effective. If you realize that the disease is something you can not control and go with the flow of symptoms and how it affects life sometimes, you will be happier and not get as frustrated.

If Caleb can learn to laugh and joke about his symptoms, it may make him feel better, and make the family feel better also. Whenever I had loud stomach pains I would pretend that my stomach was talking, so that if someone was talking and my stomach started making noise, I would say something like "my stomach says it agrees with you". Things like this make everyone a bit more relaxed and show Caleb that the disease is something you need to live with, but is really not a big deal.

^^^

Thats what I have to do everytime I feel depressed which I feel a lot especially right now since I am begining a small flare and am in the midst of fixing it. Its just because I am dehydrated a little bit from the schools reserculated air. But I have to make myself laugh all of the time even during class. And Lisa tell your son he is welcome to email me anytime about getting through the depressing times. I am 17 as well and I know how hard it is right now going through the whole college process and dealing with friends and other kids.

Email is jeff1(at)panicfc.com

Good luck

V

Valentina

never had the pill cam done myself, but have always wanted to ask for it.. until what Ive just read :confused: maybe not worth the risks.. chances are if youve got IBD and are needing a pill cam, your inflamed..
good luck with the project Jeff, Im sure you will do a great job :)

Welcome Lisa! lots of great people here to answer your Qs.

X

xrayzerase

i just went to my dr yesterday-had bloodtest and tb test (may start remicade)
anyway-in 2 weeks: ct scan -if i have no blocks-he wanted to use the pill cam--so-if i do the cam--i'll definitely share how it goes. he just said i swallow it-wear some monitor on a belt (?) to colloect info as it goes through the gi -then the cam hopefully just comes out in the stool ..
i am going to ask if there is any way i can get a copy of the recorded images...
ps:
welcome lisa-all my best wishes to your son...this is a great group...i hope it helps you and your son..

S

Skinsfan1229

Thats true, it take 2 pictures per second, it ends up being something like 50,000 pictures.