• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate- To Drink or Not to Drink

So I have read conflicting reports about drinking while taking Methotrexate. Some say never, some say 1-2 drinks on occasion no problem. Anyone have any opinions?

I have been taking Metho once a week for 5 weeks now and have not had a single drink in that time. I am going to be going to Spring Training and I would love to have a beer while watching the game.

Any opinions on how much is too much with Metho, or is it best to just skip it all together? Anyone have a personal rule of thumb?

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I have never been on it....but alcohol does increase the toxicity of Methotrexate...I think you should ask your GI his opinion. He has access to your latest liver enzymes and other blood work....I just recently started having an occasional drink at dinner, after years of feeling to sickly too even consider it....You seem like a pretty moderate guy who could stop at one and be satisfied. I suspect one beer probably wouldn't hurt you, but I have no personal experience....I hope you have a great time at Spring training!

I got told to limit my drinking to one unit a day. So I'd say it would be ok to have half a pint of beer.

Saying that, my liver is now damaged and I'm not allowed to take Methotrexate again. As you've not been drinking at all, I'd say a little beer now and again should be ok as long as it's not a regular thing.

I used to drink quite a bit, but have only drank maybe three or four times since January 2009, so over a year. Liver levels are always normal.

I've been on methotrexate for about six months. I have consumed alcohol once while on this drug (only 3 drinks), and I felt horrible... I just avoid alcohol completely. Like the others said, you should be fine with a couple drinks, but be aware that they may affect you more than they used to.

kasper87 said:
How is the methotrexate working for you? when did you notice improvment and were you on other TNF's before MTX?
I was on Remicade for years, but that stopped.

I am currently on MTX, Humira and 20 mg of Pred. So I am not sure which of the three is making me feel so good. I have been on the MTX and Humira for 6 weeks. I have not had any D, cramping, etc. since the week of Christmas. That week I started 40mg a day of Pred.

Feeling great! Which drug is doing it I have no idea. Nice to feel good though. Last year was rough.

I'd say you are good with a beer now and again then. Just make sure you have a blood test every week to keep and eye on the liver levels.

Kasper, I was having methotrexate via injections for a few months till it started working. I did take a good 6 weeks. But once it did work it made me feel a lot better and I could start working once more. After about 8 weeks I went onto oral pills. I had 3 infusions of Remicade before methotrexate but the results were only lasting two weeks, was going into anaphylatic shock everytime I had it and was told they could make my stictures worse! So they put me on methotrexate.

kasper87 said:
How is the methotrexate working for you? when did you notice improvment and were you on other TNF's before MTX?
The methotrexate is the only thing that has worked for me at all besides 30 mg. of pred. and higher.

The Remicade did nothing for me.

I actually started getting relief within about 3 weeks from the MTX.

I am virtually symptom free and have been for about 3 months.

Hope this helps.

I am on MTX and drink nearly every weekend.
I wasnt told to stay away from booze, this is honestly the first I have heard that. But it makes sence since its all to do with your liver. I get blood work done every 6 weeks and my doc says they are always normal. So I donno, either Im a freek or ????

This thread reminded me I need to take my MTX for the week, and I am also heading out tonight for a few. I planned to take my MTX on fridays cause in my little head I figured they might cancel themselves out and I would feel ok! :) I may be playing with fire though??? I donno?

I could never condone not having a drink.

I will remain out of this discussion (only after the 2 glasses of wine that I've just had) lol

I maybe have one drink every once in a while, but I'm scared to drink any more than that. A friend of mine with RA drinks just a few socially on the weekends and now needs a liver transplant. Doc's not sure if it's disease or MTX, but I'm completely freaked out about it.

Fog Ducker said:
I am on MTX and drink nearly every weekend.
I wasnt told to stay away from booze, this is honestly the first I have heard that. But it makes sence since its all to do with your liver. I get blood work done every 6 weeks and my doc says they are always normal. So I donno, either Im a freek or ????

This thread reminded me I need to take my MTX for the week, and I am also heading out tonight for a few. I planned to take my MTX on fridays cause in my little head I figured they might cancel themselves out and I would feel ok! :) I may be playing with fire though??? I donno?
Everything I have read was to stay away as MTX is already hard on your liver. I drank for many years while taking 6-MP and Remicade with no problems. MTX though has me a bit paranoid. Called my Dr. last week to ask but have not heard back from him. If I don't I will ask him when I see him in a couple of weeks.

My doctor said that avoiding alcohol with Crohn's can help reduce the risk of a complication of the liver called Primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC). Doesn't sound very fun, so between MTX and that, I'm basically too chicken to drink LOL.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I am the same as you Jeanette, why add more toxins to your liver and kidneys than already having. A lot of people dont even drink enough water and alcohol dehydrates your body. Bok bok.. chicken too!

I drank pretty heavily for about seven years while in remission/college, was on Asacol and 6-MP during that time. My liver is fine.

I would never go back to that level of partying unless I could go back to being 21 years old, but I wouldn't mind a pint here and there while watching a baseball game.