• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone Weaning

I was taking 40 mg of Prednisone a day for about 3.5 weeks. I seemed to have gotten my Crohns under control so my Dr. told me to start to wean off of it. I went from 40, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, and I am now on 5 every other day for the last week. Each step down was one week long. Since I have been on the 5 mg, I have been have fairly bad lower back pain, like my SI joints. I have also had some other joint pains, but not nearly as bad as my back. Has anyone on here had anything similar happen to them while weaning off Prednisone?

hi! i have got Sacroiliitis.. which is inflammation of the sacroiliac joints. my doc told me that its common for people with bowel diseases. i had really bad back pain that would keep me awake then i went on prednisone since november last year and havnt had it since then so im thinking that it has helped. one doctor has said that once i got off it that the pain may come back.
have you had any back pain before??

bindi

I never really had back pain prior to going on the prednisone. While I was on the Prednisone I was having all kinds of pain, especially when I was at 40 mg. I would get it in my thighs and my back.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi CW, I had back pain about 7 years ago and I couldn't get out of bed, no rhyme or reason, it left as soon as it came. You could be getting side effects. I have still knees, and muscle cramps, it is from tapering. What is your Gi recommending for a long term course of therapy?

Thanks jettalady. I had alot of tests done lately for my Crohns and all have come back with good news. My colonoscopy showed very little inflammation, and had actually improved since the last time I had one over a year ago. I had a dexa scan done for first time in 4 years, and my bone density had also improved. With those test results is the reason why I was taken of the Prednisone. Right now the plan is to stay on 9 mg of Entocort a day and 3750 mg of Pentasa a day.