• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello, I'm new to this website

My name is Claire and I have been suffering with this for 7 years and only the past few months after countless amounts of tests etc the doctor says I have chrohns. Not only do I have this I now suffer from servere panic attacks that trigger when I dont have instant use of a toilet. I dont work, go out, have any friends/boyfriend left because I can not leave the house for 2 mintues without needing the loo. I can't even travel to see my family members 3 miles down the road because I have been caught out, soild myself in the past and I cant cope with it. I have even bought a port a loo for my bedroom because I just freak out when others use the loo in my house. My grand father had a massive heart operation last year and we didn't think he would live so everyone went the the hosital and guess what, I couldn't go. My grandmother was asking my to take her to the hospital and I couldn't. My cousin died and I couldnt go the funeral. I'm looking into swaping my subaru for motor home with a toilet so that I can travel again. I am so so so depressed and I dont see the point in living this life as I cant do anything. Dealing with the one is bad enough but the both!!!

Every second of every day, toilets are all I think about.

People tell me its all in my head and that I dont need the toliet and to just get on with it, unless you have this condition others will never understand. I've tried almost every anti-depressant tablet in the world to carm myself but nothing works. I've had councilling and been for hypnotherapy but I am still living in this hell.

I have asked the doctor to fit me with a bag so that I can get on with my life but they would help me. At least that way I'd be able to go out and live my life and try and get my 7 years back. People really dont know how lucky they are being able to control their bowels. Because I have 5 seconds from when I get the signal to when I need to be sitting on the toilet.

This cant be the way to live with ths surly :depressed:

Thanks for reading claire

Astra

Hi Claire
and welcome

honey this is so sad, I don't know what to say that can help you, you've already taken steps with councelling, anti depressants etc, and you're right about other people not understanding your condition unless they suffer too! been there, done that!
To be told it's all in your head, will only exacerbate your anxieties, and I'm sure during hypnotherapy, they tried Cognitive Behaviour Therapy? If not, I maybe able to help you with that.
I'm wondering about your meds? are you on any? Let us know.
There are some good anti diarrhea tablets like Immodium that might help too, might give you a bit of time?
We are here for you now, don't suffer in silence, vent away, lots of people on here will be able to advise you
lotsa luv
Joan
xxx

Sorry Claire, We all know how hard it is! The waiting and looking for a potty is overwhelming sometimes...Hang tough! Sue ((((HUGG))))

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Claire2242 said:
My name is Claire and I have been suffering with this for 7 years and only the past few months after countless amounts of tests etc the doctor says I have chrohns. Not only do I have this I now suffer from servere panic attacks that trigger when I dont have instant use of a toilet. I dont work, go out, have any friends/boyfriend left because I can not leave the house for 2 mintues without needing the loo. I can't even travel to see my family members 3 miles down the road because I have been caught out, soild myself in the past and I cant cope with it. I have even bought a port a loo for my bedroom because I just freak out when others use the loo in my house. My grand father had a massive heart operation last year and we didn't think he would live so everyone went the the hosital and guess what, I couldn't go. My grandmother was asking my to take her to the hospital and I couldn't. My cousin died and I couldnt go the funeral. I'm looking into swaping my subaru for motor home with a toilet so that I can travel again. I am so so so depressed and I dont see the point in living this life as I cant do anything. Dealing with the one is bad enough but the both!!!

Every second of every day, toilets are all I think about.

People tell me its all in my head and that I dont need the toliet and to just get on with it, unless you have this condition others will never understand. I've tried almost every anti-depressant tablet in the world to carm myself but nothing works. I've had councilling and been for hypnotherapy but I am still living in this hell.

I have asked the doctor to fit me with a bag so that I can get on with my life but they would help me. At least that way I'd be able to go out and live my life and try and get my 7 years back. People really dont know how lucky they are being able to control their bowels. Because I have 5 seconds from when I get the signal to when I need to be sitting on the toilet.

This cant be the way to live with ths surly :depressed:

Thanks for reading claire
Hi Clair and welcome!!! Sorry you are suffering with the D, but two meds help with that, one is Prednisone and controls your Crohns, until you have a stablilizing longer term drug, or you can try Cholestyramine, or brand name Questran. You should be able to lead a better life than now, the D is a pain but you should find something to control it. Sorry if I am not much help, but I used to use is all the time. Being on Prednisone for temporary fix... yeah everyone hates it but is works to help all your Crohn's symptoms.. Good luck, keep us posted!

I understand! I had the five second run-for-your-life to the restroom bout as well. I told my docs and they said to take over the counter imodium. That didn't work at all. It was very embarrassing. Told the docs but they didn't take me seriously. So I stopped eating and drinking all together. Wasn't the smartest thing to do. I passed out just four days later while getting ready for work and THEN the docs started to take me very seriously.

I went the stupid route to get what I needed. Don't reccommend it. But I promise there is medication out there that can help and give you back your life.

Hi Claire,

Welcome! I'm sorry you've been through a lot recently and are still finding it tough. It's so hard for other people to understand. When I get ill I sit on the sofa the entire day and don't want to do anything. I'm sure my dad just thinks I'm lazy when that happens.

Like Astra said, what drugs are you on? It's the job of the hospital to get you back on track and well again so that your quality of life is improved. So if one drug isn't working, they should be trying new ones until they find one that does.

Hi Claire, welcome.
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time lately.
I also was wondering what meds you are taking? Are you in regular contact with your Dr?
I hope you find some comfort and understanding from the fellow sufferers here.....
hang in there.

Hi Claire
hang in there things will improve slowly now they hav found you hav crohns, finding te right meds can take time

as mentioned above see if you can't get onto prednisone tablets, yea they hav the weight gain issue etc but they do help give ya life back
also as mentioned imodium helps too, but if that doesn't speak too the pharmisist and ask about lomotil it's stronger but ul prob hav too sign for it
drink metamucil too this can help bind u up a bit

also your diet..... Might sound weird but during a flare you may want too cut the fibre out of your diet as this can sometimes iritate the bowel more causing you too do the dunny dash all the time
look up or ask ya dr or chemist etc about a low residue/low fibre diet
this with prednisone an some imodium will slow things up normally which would ultimatly help with your depression

chin up an welcome too the forum