• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Barium test results

barium test results

Got the barium test results back and was told that I have a questionable mass. Was anyone told this after their test? If so, what did this turn out to be? What type of treatment did you receive? I'm starting to freak out a little bit. :(

Well, I never had a barium test, but I ended up in the hospital when they found an "unexplainable amount of free floating fluid" in my lower right abdomen on an ultrasound. It turned out to be an abscess. I stayed in the hospital for 12 days after they ran all sorts of tests on me, drained the abscess, and loaded me up with antibiotics and TPN. I was offcially diagnosed with Crohn's in February of this year.

My first reaction when I heard "baseball-sized mass" was tumor, but an abscess is basically an infected sac of fluid - probably from a tear in my colon. Don't be too worried. It's good that they found it. It's one step closer to a diagnosis and treatment. Try not to let it worry you too much. Keep us posted :)

Last edited:
Yep I had a large necrotic lymph node mass found when they did a laprotomy. Discharge report said they removed it but no when I had a follow with a different doctor it was still there. Biopsies showed it was not cancerous and it was decided to just leave it. I had follow up ultrasounds to see if it was shrinking like they expected and sure enough when I had my last ultrasound 6 months after first finding it, there was no evidence of it.

I also had an abscess but was told it was as a result of the first surgery, not from a leaking bowel so best to get it all checked out.