• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Naltrexone User

Today, I talked my GP into prescribing naltrexone. I have 50 mg ReVia tablets that I'm going to grind and mix with distilled water. I have a couple of questions for the more experienced folks out there. 1) I have done nothing special other than wean off prednisone 6 weeks ago. 2) I am also suffering from an adverse reaction to cipro and levaquin. It seems to have caused vascular damage and left me in some pain. My questions are these: Should I just go ahead and get started with the LDN? Also, I have marinol for pain. It doesn't kill the pain but it seems to make me relatively indifferent to the pain. Will LDN block THC or cannabinoids? I'm getting ready to make my first tincture, and I'm interested in your feedback.

Currently taking 4 grams of Pentasa per day; multivitamin; 250 mg of magnesium; Vitamin D3; Potassium

LDN only blocks opiate receptors, so it should not affect any other pain medication that is not in the opiate family.

I think you are good on that point. I do not remember the requirements for dissolving LDN into distilled water, but I do know it has to be refrigerated. I do not think it keeps very long this way either, but I do not remember how long it is good for.

Good Luck, and let us know how it works for you.

Dan

First night

I had trouble sleeping last night. I have been trying to convince doctors to let me take LDN for months. So I was pumped up to take it, and I think I couldn't fall asleep as I waited for the LDN to kick in. I'm kind of beat today and can't really tell if it has made much of a difference.

I only made enough for six days--25 ml. I hope it won't go bad in that time.

I'm going to go get some ALA today. Any recommendations on what kind to get, Dan?

Sleep problems with LDN is one of the normal, short term side effects. It will take weeks and months before it really has a chance to stabilize your condition.
It is not a hard hitting drug like most are. Expect good and bad days in between. That is pretty normal.

I do not know much about ALA, other than Dr. Burt Berkson uses it with LDN for disease treatment. I am hoping for a report from one of the people that are scheduled to see him in the near future.

I think a weeks worth is a good amount to keep on hand. I am sure it keeps that long.

Dan

Bogman,

I have my low dose naltrexone specially compounded. Not too familiar with making doses at home.

My experience is like what Dan suggested...no impact at first but slowly, gradually noticed a difference over time. Being patient is definately required and a day by day journal is a good tool for you and your GI to track your progress.

RobK

Hi Bogman:

I read an article where Dr. Berkson says that you should do you homework when buying ALA because most brands out are made with low quality ALA. He says the best ALA supplements are from the companies that source their ALA from German pharmas.

Well, I have reached out to several companies to inquire where they source their ALA. Some have gotten back to me, others have ignored me. So it is not easy to find!!

There is a gentleman who is currently being treated by Dr. Berkson as we speak. And I am scheduled to be treated by him in May. If I hear from him which brand to use, I will update the group. Otherwise, once I am treated in May, I will share that information then.

Good luck!
Chris

Kev

Hi Bogman

Couple of things.. Be careful grinding those Naltrexone pills... it can be inhaled, it does pose the risk of overdose (if compounded in a pharmacy, they have to use a hood device). I believe I read (or maybe heard it here 3rd hand) that the safe method for making your own LDN was to dissolve it in sterile water (in a measured amount)... And, it has to be refrigerated. My pills are compounded in a pharmacy, but their shelf life is only 90 days. It is my understanding the liquid mix has a shorter potency shelf life.

Troubled sleep is a common side effect, as are very vivid dreams (these CAN be the most pleasant side effect you may ever encounter).. but both are usually short lived. One thing I would caution, don't expect overnight miracles... In fact, in the short term there is a chance you will worsen before you notice things slowly improving.

Final thought... tho an opiate receptor blocker, it may also affect other areas. I smoke... (yeah, a nasty habit), and the Naltrexone definitely lessens the urge to smoke. Literally, it takes any/all enjoyment out of the experience.

Mortar and Pestle

I haven't noticed much powder in the air when I grind up a pill, and I think that the pills are 86% filler anyway. I'm not sure dust from 25 milligrams will amount to much, but I will keep my face averted some to avoid snorting the stuff. Thanks for the heads up. Naltrexone tastes pretty nasty this way, but I have noticed a cognitive difference. I feel a little sharper. Your comments on LDN in the forum have been helpful.

I backed off to about 4 milligrams last night and slept much better. I'll try that tonight. My Crohn's isn't active in my gut, but I have myalgia and tendonitis as well as other adverse effects I suspect came from taking Levaquin and Cipro in November 2008 for a perianal abscess. Cipro and Flagyl are standard for Crohn's abscesses, but I have to say that Cipro is nasty stuff if you have a bad reaction to it. It is also possible, though difficult for me to believe given my symptoms, that I could be suffering from general inflammation due to Crohn's. So I'm taking LDN to see if it will help with that and keep my Crohn's in check.

One thing I noticed is I don't have to rush of to the head a couple of times a day. In fact, not since two days ago. It seems to have slowed the digestive tract for me.

I do hope I will be able to have a glass of wine in May when I'm in France. I read somewhere that you can't drink--it will cause vomiting: but what I've read about naltrexone is that it blocks the effects of alcohol, so one may drink alcohol but will not notice being intoxicated, which subsequently is the danger. Nevertheless, I have sworn off alcohol for the next 5 weeks to let my gut adjust to LDN so that I avoid problems with candida and the other bugs.

Any of you ever have a drink while on LDN?

So far so good, and thanks for the responses.

LDN in UK

Hi BogMan I am very interested in your story especially as it sounds as though you live in the U.K. I also live in the U.K. and I am EXTREMELY SURPRISED that you managed to persuade your GP to prescribe LDN. My daughter mentioned the word LDN to my gastroenterologist and she immediately said 'Well I won't be prescribing it' and then swiftly put her head back into the notebook which she was frantically writing in. I have spoken to various different private GP's in the U.K. (I don't think that my regular GP has ever heard of LDN and although she is very nice she would definately panic, as she didin't even want me to try elemental feeds), who seem only interested in getting my money (I don't have much in the first place). I am now waiting to have a phone consultation with a private doctor in Scotland- which is good as I live in London and the other doctor that I spoke to about treating crohn's with LDN didn't have a clue but was still willing to prescribe it!

Last edited: