Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Drugs other than Asacol

03-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
kirkland

Drugs other than Asacol

Are there any other drugs that are a step up from asacol, other than humira, cimzia, remicade or any of those.
03-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Lydia

I think prednisone and immunosuppressants like Azathioprine or 6-MP are the next step followed by methotrexate.
03-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
kirkland

I already told my GI that I am not ever going to take prednisone. I took that before and did not like the side effects at all. He mentioned humira, cimzia, and remicade, but did not mention azathioprine or 6mp or methotrexate.
03-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Yeah - I would have said 6-mp or Imuran too.
The trouble with those is that they typically take 3 months to start working.
It is possible that a similar drug to asacol would help you. Sulfasalazine was my first drug, and then I was moved to asacol. When asacol quit, I took pentasa with good results for a few years. There are several different 5-asa (I think they are called that) drugs.
Maybe you could try entocort instead of prednisone? It's similar, but a bit weaker I guess? My doc wouldn't let me take it instead of pred becasue it wasn't as strong, but many members here have had good luck with it.
03-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Lydia

They usually do the prendisone until the aza or 6 mp kick in. Maybe they would just keep you on asacol until the aza or 6 mp kick in.
03-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Astra

My Support Groups:
Yes Kirkland
we call it Budesonide here in Uk - a steroid but not as strong
Imuran is Aza here
IMO - Pentasa is not strong enough on it's own, too mild

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

03-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
kenny

it seems worth mentioning that these drugs being discussed are very different in the approach to treatment.

The 5 ASA drugs are a fancy aspirin. They reduce swelling at the site of absorption. 5ASA drugs were hopefuls that turned out to be less effective than expected. Asacol/Pentasa/Salofalk

Steroids like Prednisone suppress the immune system a bit by limiting the abilities of white blood cells. They reduce inflammation fast and are suitable for short term treatment to get a flair under control quickly.

Imuran/6mp is a long term immune suppression drug that reduces your ability to produce white blood cells. Very cost effective treatment.

Humira/Remicade are TNF blockers that use modified biological agents to reduce your bodies ability to produce inflammation. These are comparatively expensive long term treatments.

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
03-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I took Entocort after Asacol and didn't have any issues.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
03-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
kirkland

I am currently tapering off of entocort and I'll keep taking the asacol. I still have blood in my stool, but my GI doesn't seem concerned about it as long as I am not in pain. I guess he thinks the entocort will not get rid of the blood. I was only on the entocort for about 6 weeks, he doesn't want me to take it longer than that, I really don't know why.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Drugs other than Asacol