• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forum - Glad I Found a Place to Grouse!

Hi All:

Glad I found this forum. I've been looking for something like this and finally found you by googling crohn's disease blogs. I was diagnosed in 2001 with microscopic colitis. Took Asacol and went 5 years without a flare up. Then I started having a flare a year for a couple years, but the Asacol still seemed to do the trick. I never took a stronger dose than 6/day but wasn't put on it as maintenance either. Then ensued an 18 month period of flares that we finally realized Asacol was not able to control. In August 2009 my GP sent me to a GI who whipped into action. I got the Crohn's diagnosis in October 2009. Since then been on predinisone which kind of helped but immediately flared when I tapered off. Been on entocort for 3 months now; best I've felt in years. I had forgotten what it felt like to be 'normal'. Starting to taper off the entocort and adding back Asacol. Yesterday I started feeling 'on the edge' and today I have stomach pain and exhaustion. I haven't eaten much besides crackers and broth and I crashed out for about a 3 hour nap. I am so aggravated! I have signed up to walk in a Team Challenge half marathon in July and we had our first group training session yesterday. I've never done anything like this and I'm pretty excited and nervous about making it. If I am feeling crappy and can't train I'll never make 13.1 miles. Thanks for letting me gripe and I'm glad you all are here!

Hello PeninsulaLil and welcome to the Crohn's Forum! :)

I know you will find a wealth of information here
and meet quite a few new friends along the way..
I'm so glad you found us.

As to the way you feel right now...could be you are tapering too quickly..
I would let your doctor know how you have felt since taping the Entocort.

Once again...
Welcome!!

Nancy~

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Peninsulalil! You indeed have found a place where we have the same symptoms and problems as you. Prednisone is our "love/hate" drug. It works in high doses and as you taper, the symptoms come back. I am on 20mg and everyone seems to do well until you lower to 15mg. I have also been on Entocort but only works if I am in a milder stage. It did give me relief after my first resection. Flares come and go, dealing with it so it doesnt get out of hand is crucial. Kudo's to you for the walk challenge! Hope you make it and do well!:dog:

Astra

Hi Peninsulalil
and welcome

Bravo for the half marathon, braver than me, I'd drop dead after a mile!
hope you get your meds sorted, tapering down is a killer, my doses are up and down like a yoyo!
good luck!
xxx

Hi Peninsulal. I just wanted to welcome you. Wishing you the best of luck in completing the half marathon. I wouldn't even make it to the start line without b-lining it for the nearest washroom! LOL

Hello and welcome! I'm sure you'll find a lot of good help and support here. The Team Challenge 1/2 marathons are great... it will definitely be a great experience for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome and all the advice! I was wondering about tapering more slowly too. My GI doc who I trust is, of course, on vacation, but he'll be back Wednesday. Meantime the oncall doc gave me pepcid and said that it may not be a flare but that steroids can make stomach acidy (I haven't been able to keep even water down since last night.) What fun!

@Dustin-- I should send you the email we got for the first training session-- one paragraph with directions to the location and two paragraphs on all the nearby bathrooms! My people!

ameslouise

Welcome to the Forum!

I had HORRIBLE problems with reflux from the prednisone. Ended up in the ER - thought something had exploded inside of me. The doc said "Oh, it's probably just relflux from the pred." Would have been nice if he had warned me about that!

I take prilosec and it helps greatly. Be sure to talk to your regular doc about the taper rate. It can be tricky with pred -not sure if it's the same with Entocort.

Good luck! -Amy